Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, I hope that you are correct about the future of Cuban music and that I am wrong. I would like to see nothing more than the preservation of the beautiful music or honest and interesting evolution. What I can say with certainty is that you are not correct about is the politics of it all. The Cuban government has been and continues to be one of the most corrupt and ruthless dictatorships. Perhaps it is the proximity to the U.S. and the beauty of the country, it's people and its music that has made it easy to romanticize, as has often been done, the reality of life in Cuba. Life in Cuba is replete with unjust laws and oppression and it is easy to assume that the people would prevail in a revolt against it until one is looking down the barrel of a gun or the prospect of jail (or worse) as countless have done. I am not sure this is the forum for more in-depth discussion of this topic, but if you would like to learn more about it based on personal experience feel free to pm me. Saludos.

Da Blues! "Let's cover Da Blues".

As some may know, I have an aversion to certain kinds of blues; it's not the music, but social factors surrounding the music that bother me. I don't hear the music, but see and hear all the social factors surrounding the music, I'm talking about "The Delta Blues".

Let's follow this music down two parallel sets of tracks; one set of tracks for the music, and another for the music. As an aficionado, I want you to feel free to focus exclusively on the social factors or the music; maybe you are unaware of the social factors, and find them disturbing, that's when it's best to focus exclusively on the music.

To move this vehicle forward, I've chosen "Juke Joint Blues", this is over an hour of music and slides that depict some aspects of the social factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRZmqFxUaE

Enjoy the music.

Correction! I should never post early in the morning; although I read this post twice, I didn't see a glaring error, "One set of tracks for the music, and another set of tracks for the music", That should of course read "One set of tracks for the music, and another set of tracks for the social factors surrounding the music".
There is only one Blues, and it's name is Delta. Not literally true, but close enough.

BTW, I think DELTA refers to the land bordering the river, and flatten by eons of flooding by the river, so we are speaking of Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi. BTW, The richest soil on the planet.

The Blues does not travel well outside of it's time and place. It was taken to places like Memphis and Chicago by people from the Delta. There is a mild country-tinged version native to the Carolinas., called, Piedmont blues. All else is bogus.

The first step in understanding and appreciating the Blues, is to understand the language of the music. Double entendre is the norm.

You tend to look at the social conditions and see nothing but the bad, I see a resilient people that contributed great things under trying conditions. Blues, Spirituals, Gospel, Jazz, R&B and Rock & Roll. As Cannonball said, "It's not all the same thing, but it's all from the same thing".

Not bad for a bunch of share croppers.

BTW, all great music springs from social conditions, quite often, bad ones.

Cheers

Rok, your post was so beautifully accurate, that I'm not going to spoil the spell it cast by my ugly social comments.

Enjoy the music.