Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Recent purchases:
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra -- LIVE IN CUBA

Excellent Big Band Record. It's a 2-CD set, which was a nice Surprise.
Not as much 'Latin' as I was expecting, but, I guess the objective was to showcase different music for the folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cn9bGFd13c

If "Marsalis and Clapton Play the Blues" was Pops and Oliver, then " Live in Cuba" is Ellington and Basie.

Cheers
Peter Tosh -- EQUAL RIGHTS

Typical Afro-based Third World Claptrap. The music is infectious as a lot of this stuff is, but the lyrics are starting to sound a little silly and tiresome.

On the cover he strikes his 'Che' pose. Stuck in another time.

Cheers
Marsalis and Clapton Play The Blues DVD+CD

I had to have the DVD. Glad I got it. I knew this band had pedigree.
One of the few, Perfect, CDs I own.

Cheers

"Mingus Minus Mingus", didn't think about it, but that's exactly what this was. His music can be played and heard on a deeper level; I know that sounds trite, but there is nothing shallow about Mingus's music. On the second clip, he was just as much into anthropology, as he was music; that would be brooding.

Mingus was a deep and heavy thinker who expressed his thoughts. "Can you imagine him and Miles stuck in a car from New York to LA, with Mingus rapping, and Miles unable to put two sentences together before giving out".

Enjoy the music.
*****Mingus was a deep and heavy thinker who expressed his thoughts.*****

I agree. I would add ANGRY to the list. Not someone to trifle with. I think he was very disappointed in mankind.

*****Can you imagine him and Miles stuck in a car from New York to LA, with Mingus rapping, and Miles unable to put two sentences together before giving out". ******

I can imagine Miles being found in a shallow grave, in the desert outside Vegas. :)

Cheers