Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Serge Chaloff's music and playing deserves to be mentioned more, like so many forgoten jazz names. Hopefully more people might here it and lake it. Here are couple of facts, together with few links.
'The best baritone saxophonist most listeners have never heard of, whose rather incredible talents combine Harry Carney's tone and Cecil Payne's vocabulary.
Chaloff was born in Boston on November 24, 1923. His father was a pianist with the Boston Symphony Orchestra while his mother, Margaret, taught music at the Boston Conservatory of Music, over time educating an illustrious series of pianists including Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, and Richard Twardzik. Chaloff himself studied piano and clarinet before teaching himself the baritone sax in emulation of Jack Washington and Harry Carney. Charlie Parker was also a monumental influence.
Chaloff nevertheless remains best known for his stint with Woody Herman's Second Herd, which he joined in late 1946. Alongside tenors Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, and Herbie Stewart he vaulted to jazz immortality the following year via the Jimmy Giuffre composition "Four Brothers," a landmark recording extending each of the saxophonists a solo turn.
In 1954, he signed to George Wein's Boston-based Storyville to cut The Fable of Mabel, recorded with local luminaries including alto saxophonist Charlie Mariano and trumpeter Herb Pomeroy, and a year later the label also issued his collaboration with altoist Boots Mussulli. After completing work on Boston Blow-Up!, a loose but impassioned Stan Kenton-produced date for Capitol, Chaloff relocated to Los Angeles, where in 1956 he assembled pianist Sonny Clark, bassist Leroy Vinnegar, and drummer Philly Joe Jones to record his masterpiece Blue Serge, a gripping, evocative set that ranks among the finest jazz recordings of its era. But by the time of its release Chaloff was confined to a wheelchair, partially paralyzed as the result of a spinal tumor. The cancer spread, and he died July 16, 1957, at the age of just 33.'

https://youtu.be/Yxyx9U-8R_I

https://youtu.be/GSnSSeMHUI4

https://youtu.be/FrgsundqISs

https://youtu.be/eZge-q63EQs
I put Serge Chaloff's "BLUE SERGE" in my cart on Amazon. The reviews were excellent, so I'll take a chance. He seems to have lived the stereotypical Jazz life, Drug addict etc....

The reviewers on Amazon did mention the Baritone as being difficult to play. One said, he could play it like a Tenor!

Thanks for the clips and info on Chaloff.

Cheers
*****Here's something really different from "Grant Green*****

Truer words have never been written!! ::(

*****he could come from so many different directions that it boggles the mind,*****

Well, this is one direction he should not have come from. Never heard of the movie, but when you mentioned soundtrack I knew it was some of that "Blaxploitation" junk. Hollywood's saddest chapter.

Sorry, I just couldn't get pass the movie genre. So sad to see a Jazz great like Grant doing this sort of thing, but I guess it paid well.

The music, like the movies, is sterile and empty of feeling. The early 70's were a very mixed bag. Some Great stuff, but also a lot of Junk-Jazz. Many guys selling their names and reputations to get paid.

Cheers

Good to hear from you alex. Serge's music is "West Coast" all the way; somehow it sounds better in LA, that's because the West Coast has a different vibe. This music sounded a lot better to me in the 50's than it does now.

In order for this music to resonate, or sound it's best, I have to listen and go back to the time when it was hot. Now that I'm there, I recall seeing Serge's name a lot, it was when West Coast was hip. His music and name are bouncing around in my mind, when I put it altogether I'll get back to you.

Enjoy the music

Rok, you got the same problem with this as I had with "Da Blues", I can't hear the music because so many other factors surrounding the music keep flooding my mind.

"Blaxsploitation" was a very appropriate name for that music, and picture genre. I never saw nor wanted to see this movie, I only saw the record at a record sale, and I bought every record I saw by Grant Green, no matter what. Unlike Miles, I never sold a Grant Green record. I never saw, nor did I ever want to see this movie, but I liked the music independent of the movie.

Now to answer another question and story about music.

"I think this may have been that movie we discussed a long time ago", Learsfool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKQdp6iGUk

This story is in reference to this movie and music.

It was in the winter of 59 that I got stranded, and a beautiful woman offered me shelter. I know you've seen enough movies to know what happens next. Well the scriptwriter really flubbed it on this movie because all I got was shelter, even though it was all night.

She had every album Miles put out up until that time. I think her latest acquisition was "Jazz Track" which was the score for that movie. I liked everything she had by Miles except that, it was too dark and brooding, besides, I didn't see the movie.

Fast forward to recently after I saw the movie; that's the best sound track I ever heard, life is strange.

Enjoy the music