Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, I have no interest in arguing. I appreciate your perspective and I can only offer the perspective of someone who has been in the music "business" his entire working life (37 years) and done nothing but play music that entire time in order to earn a living; well, maybe a stock purchase or two :-). I don't disagree with all that you have written, but I think that we have strayed from the original issues and I think that in the future you may want to be more precise with what you pose. You first said that some of these players in question were as good as the best and asked if any of them were "the one". Now, a different standard is being used. Seems to me that anyone who is "the one" belongs in that top and narrow tier which you now say is not what you are talking about; and which Rok now calls "extreme talent". I am confused. I will finish with a couple of thoughts which every lover of the music should find reassuring and is certainly a positive:

The music is a far more powerful force than the business of music. Jazz would have done what it did no matter what the "business" does; it has to, just as creative musicians have to create. The ones that have a lot to say will say it; its the nature of the beast. And btw, the business has made a fair bit of change from all that talking :-)

Let's make this discussion interesting; if you are game. I am still waiting to hear the name of someone who was "the one" and then was forgotten. And, in addition, let's not just throw ideas out there and claim that there is "proof". Tell me in specific terms, not just "I like" or "I don't like", what it is about some of the players you have mentioned that merits their place as one of the best. I would be glad to back my comments with specifics. If you don't care to go there, and that's ok, I can only add that there is much recorded work by great trumpet players that I consider to be on a higher level than than, for instance, Dave Burns that I (nor my record collection) don't feel deprived in the least. Please don't misunderstand, I am glad that I have heard Dave Burns' work and I'm glad that his playing resonates with you. It doesn't with me.

Peace.

Btw, what is it about George Benson's playing that you don't like? Honest question and I don't refer to his Pop stuff. I assume you are familiar with his jazz playing. Thanks.

Alex, a good local musician can make a good living, so I recently discovered. Nothing compared to a touring musician, but good never the less. They had to drag "Grant" out of St. Louis; they couldn't even drag Eddie Fisher out. There are other local musicians who got into drugs. Grant is the only "famous" musician from St. Louis I knew personally. My friend was not from St. Louis, and if I ever mentioned his name, I would be hounded down to fill in missing time and pieces, which I'm not going to do.

There is someone else on this forum who might have figured out his name, and we had a squabble about revealing personal stuff, so me friend's personal life will remain personal. I'll never attach a name to negative personal information I know; think about the guys heirs.

Wardell Grey died in May 1955, and I discovered him in June 1956; so he was dead when I discovered him. My cousin had a lot of his records, but those records are no longer available, and I don't like most of the records that are available; recording quality didn't matter as much back then. All in all, it doesn't seem to matter a lot; that's because the music we like is not for this generation.

Bird survived because not only was he good, but he kept evolving, and he was playing in so many different styles when he was alive; "Bird With Strings", is just as fresh today, as it was the day he made it, and the recording quality is good.

Not many people have a bottom tier of records as good as yours, and I want to thank you for sharing them with us.

Enjoy the music.
By definition those whose talent was never heard, and common-sense will tell they are legion, remain unknown .
It IS better to be lucky than good .

Jazz could be and was nurtured in Europe , MANY great
players spent long terms in Europe to escape American racism with no effect on their "greatness" .

I've heard well known jazz artists say Ella had the voice but Sassy had the heart and soul and had forgot more about music than Ella knew .

Rok, it seems you have the most complete list of reasons for not being on the list of greats. I seem to know many of them personally; some even had beautiful wives they didn't want out of their sight for too long, or was that a tennis player who retired after he reached the top, decided to come back in, and didn't make it.

After thinking about all of those, would have, should have, could have people; I have a lot more respect for guys like Donald Byrd who changed style so many times, and survived at the the top for the duration of his life.

Enjoy the music.
Now that we have decided who is great and who ain't, the question remains, who do you most enjoy listening to. Not the necessarily the best of all time, but the one you like listening to today.

Think about it. All that dedication, practice and sacrifice, and the results can fall on deaf ears. And we be "aficionads" !!! :)

Cheers