Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

When you're young, the most important musicians are the one's you can see live. Famous

musicians could be in town every weekend, but I couldn't afford to see them. Live beats

famous all day long when your only option for the famous is what you have at home to play

them on.

Although we can't all share the local musicians I saw every weekend, I can tell you about

them, and you can tell me about the musicians where you are. Of course Frogman is exempt

since he lives in New York.

"Leo's 5" was one of my favorite groups, along with the "Trio Trebien", I saw them quite

often; this is when I was much younger in the 60's, and that certainly made a difference.

"Sam Lazarr" was a local musician I enjoyed. This gives you an idea of what I heard. Nothing compares to being on a live set with friends or a beautiful lady, all dressed elegantly in the fashions of the day. It seems I particularly liked the warm sound of guitar and organ when it was below 0 and snow outside. There's something exhilarating about an organ that can not be duplicated on the set up at home, even when it's "high end".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-tAMbi54-0

"Eddie Fisher" was an artist I saw often, he could work that "Third Cup" in and out so many different ways for an hour, and nobody would be tired of it; that's the mark of a great musician. Everybody knew Eddie Fisher was a great musician except "Eddie Fisher".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuAQFFOuy3c

As I'm listening to it, what it means to be on a live is coming to me; easy going soft conversation about the music and musicians, nothing ever loud enough to disturb the music. That warm feeling you get when you're in the company of like minded people.

Alex and Frogman, you both came up with so many "truths" in regard to why some people make the grade in regard to great, that you agree on, why don't you let me deal with what you don't agree on.

Enjoy the music.

*****Sam Lazarr*****
Nice enough, but the sound, mainly due to the organ, sounded muffled and veiled. You don't need the top end of the freq range to play this.

The importance of dynamic range in music cannot be overstated.

*****Eddie Fisher*****
Same as above, but very bad recording.

Organ player?? I recommend Joey DeFrancesco.

Cheers
The importance of dynamic range in music can not be overstated.

Spoken like a true audiophile!!!!! :-)

Rok, while every word you spoke was gospel truth, we are comparing recorded to live. I was only feet away from both players when I heard them; no recording, and no recording equipment can duplicate organ, not even high end.