Your 5 Fav Rock Concerts

There are certainly more than a few geetar fanciers among us judging by all the threads on guitar bands and best guitarist. This thread is about the best rock shows you saw. Let's limit it to the rock shows. Not Blues or Jazz or solo performers. The concerts that raised the hairs on your neck or made you want to take up an instrument or raised your pulse through their sheer energy or just moved you through their performance on stage. The only ones that count are the ones you've seen. After making a list in my mind of the many rock concerts I attended, most from the late 1960's through early 80's, I have come up with mine. It was tough, I’ve seen well over 200 rock concerts over the years and it is really hard coming up with a top 5 but we have to limit this so here go mine. "Yes" - This group stands out as the 2nd best concert I ever saw with Steve Howe and Chris Wakeman. They opened for Emerson, Lake and Palmer and after their set I do feel that EL&P were disheartened and knew they couldn't match it; they didn't. Funny thing is like most, I was there to see EL&P. They were forced to have another concert the following night by popular demand. Virtuoso musicianship, “Poco” - This group could put on a show. I saw them 4 different times in the many various stages of their evolution. They never had the commercial recognition of some of the other great bands of their era but they sure made up for it in their live performances. No one stayed seated during a Poco concert. “Rod Stewart and Faces” - Ron Wood on guitar and Rod Stewart strutting all over the stage. Rod was probably the greatest natural Rock showman I ever saw, including Mick Jagger. His uninhibited manner and constant movement and soulful vocals brought the house down. The crowd wouldn't let him go after the 5th encore so he invited everyone ("especially the pretty young ladies") to his hotel to “party on”, and so they came; Led Zeppelin I had to include them because next to the Doors and of course Jimi Hendrix they were my favorites of that era and I never did get to see either of the other two. The acoustics were bad and they played so loud you couldn’t really hear the music. But they were great none the less and it was special to me. The best should be kept for last. "The Who" was acknowledged as the best concert band at the time. Getting tickets meant getting in line and waiting. I imagine at the time the only tougher ticket would be the “Beatles” and they weren’t even together then. They didn’t disappoint. The reaction of the audience was beyond anything I ever saw at a live concert before or since. The band was so cohesive and the energy they put out put them into a different realm. They just have to be on a very short list of the best live bands ever.
tubegroover
One of the best shows I ever attended was Pearl Jam in Las Cruses, NM in 1995. It was such a powerful show and it was on the ill-fated "Non-Ticketmaster" Tour. Great show. Great rendition of Blood.
Saw them this month in Oklahoma City and they played "Deep" and "Blood" back-to-back. Great show again.
I wish I could have been around for some of the classic shows that people have been reporting on, but here is my list and I am including solo performances because some of them were the best shows I ever saw by far and will not eliminate based on someone's criteria. A rock show is a rock show

1) Roger Waters - Radio Kaos Tour
This shows was perfect in all areas, it was an absolutely brilliant realization of this concept album and throwing in the video of arnold layne was great.

2) Jethro Tull - although circa 1992 it was an absolutely fabulous show in a 2,000 seat auditorium with wonderful accoustics and old dirty Ian was at his filthy best. and the inclusion of "my god" was great.

3) Elton John - around 1981, this show was a last minute invite and it was phenominal. Elton still rocked back then, even if I had to listen to that insipid song "empty garden". He was reunited with his old band mates and ftom "funeral to a friend" until the last encore.

4)David Bowie - Lets Dance tour
Although no SRV and that insipidly paced version of "lets dance" this show was a killer. And since I was not old enough to see him in his at his productive best, he brought out the classics, including "Station to Station" among others and I was overwelmed.

5) Stevie Wonder - In the early 1980's he did a number of gigs at a 2000 seat auditorium in Detroit and did a retrospective of his career to that point. This event was later put on Showtime cable I believe.He even did fingertips, and did an impression of himself at that age. Me and my friends were some of the youngest members in the audience and the music that man made that night, and what I hear all those nights was breathtaking. It was a nostagila party for most but for us it was just great evening of wonderful music played by a genius who still mattered.

Now for the worst show I ever saw was a tie:

Rolling Stones 1981 - massive football statium show in which the sound was horrible the band played like crap. If it were anybody else they would have been booed from the stage. Santana was the opening act and even in that tomb of a place performed an awsome set that rocked the house and even sounded good.

U2 - It was a small tune up 8 city tour for their "unforgettable fire" release. And I could not wait. in a 2000 seat auditorium I was expecting greatness after having seen the performance at red rocks, although on tape, I thought this best was fantastic. But it just seems they went through the motions and then only played for 85 mins. What a let down. The only good that came out of it was The Waterboys were the supporting act and they rocked I went out the next week and bought "this is the sea"
5. Jack Williams - Lakeview Tavern The Lakeview Tavern is a little bar and restaurant in rural Lakeview MI. Jack Williams is one of the best guitar players and singer/songwriters still out there playing. He and Mickey Newbury were very close friends until Mickey died last year. Jack played the Tavern for a good three hours one hot summer day, and this was a great event.

4. James Taylor - Hourglass tour The production value of this concert was through the roof. I felt like I was a member of the audience in a taping of "Live, By Request" on A&E. The band and especially the back up singers were phenominal. I also saw him at the Hollywood Bowl last 4th of July as a guest with John Williams. That was also an outstanding night of music. I love the Bowl.

3. Doc Watson & John Hartford - Strawberry Festival, Yosemite National Park, 1983 This concert was special less because of the music, although it was great from what I remember, but because of the beauty of the venue. Hearing some good 'ol pickin' from the master himself in that place was great. I will remember getting their autographs for the rest of my life.

2. Yes - Masterworks tour I saw them 3 years ago at Universal Amphitheater. First off, that is probably one of the best music venues in the country. It's medium sized, and they only hold concerts there. The accoustics are outstanding...never saw a bad show there, and I have seen a lot. Yes was GREAT this night....Masterworks was all about B-sides from years ago that they hadn't played live in years. Starship trooper was the highlight. I've only seen one other band that tight before...A close second.

1. Nickel Creek, last year at HOB Sunset. HOB Sunset? you ask? Well, the venue certainly wasn't why this concert was the best I've seen. My wife, and a friend and I waited in line for an hour and a half before they even let us into the auditorium, then they packed us in there like sardines, and we waited for another hour before they took the stage. Once they did....WOW. I forgot all about my aching feet. They went on to play for 3 HOURS NON STOP. I was in harmonic heaven. Chris Thile is one of the coolest musicians I have ever seen. The guy is like a pop-rock star on the mandolin. Their harmonies. were sensational and Sara Watkins is not only gorgeous, but has an angelic voice. I absolutely can't wait for them to play in a good venue so I can take full advantage of this sensational band.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to all you Bluegrass and Folk lovers out there.

Z
Being a veteran of 300+ concerts seeing just about every band from ABBA to Zappa,Iv`e been to some tremendous concerts in my time.I have also been to some pretty crappy shows too.In no order, some of my best.

1. Supertramp "Breakfast in America" tour.Simply a perfect,clean,awesome sound.This could well be the best sounding show I have ever heard.It was almost like they put on a CD (even though they weren`t invented yet)and played the CD.Just blew me away.Even after all these years,there have been hardly any concerts that compare to the sound of this tour.
2. Pink Floyd "In the Flesh" tour.For some reason,they were promoting the album "Animals",but they called the tour "In the Flesh".This might well be the best concert of my life considering all the criteria that make up a great show.From the staging,lighting,big round video screen,floating inflateables,and sound system....just a perfect,perfect concert.This tour are what other concerts were judged by at the time.
3. Yes- A tie between "Relayer" and "In the Round" tours.
Two of the most fantastic performances ever.The muscianship from all members of Yes were truly top notch.The only difference between these two tours was,"Relayer" utilized the Roger Dean staging(the so-called,crab nebula)while the "In the Round" was just Yes on a empty round stage.The sound was tremendous for both tours.
4. Kansas "Left Overture" tour. This show was at a accoustically perfect venue called the Tower Theater in Upper Darby,Pa. A great album that actually was better live.The sound was just DEAD-ON with some of the best live guitar work I have ever seen from Kerry Livgren and Richard Williams.
5. Electric Light Orchestra Part 2 (?????) tour. I don`t know what they called this tour but it was the best performance I ever saw from this band,with or without founder Jeff Lynn.I saw them in the 70`s with Lynn,and they were excellent, but this tour had the band performing with the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Academy of Music.Simply a perfect sounding venue.The new singer(???) who sang Lynn`s parts was just OK, but the band with orchestra, was simply incredible.

Honorable mentions go out to Jethro Tull,The Kinks,Journey,
Hall and Oates,Tom Petty,Bruce Springsteen,Jefferson Starship,Peter Frampton,The Cars,Boston,Asia,10CC,Jackson Brown,Alan Parsons Project,Bob Seager,and Genesis.
Rolling Stones, Dodger Stadium, "Bridges to Babylon" tour.

Honorable mention to U2, Shea's Theater Buffalo, "War" tour.

Tlopes, I have often thought that the Kansas show from the "Leftoverture" show was amazing. I thought my pleasant memories were due to a fogging with the passage of time. I'm glad to read somone had the same experience I did.