Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
BIRD'S BEST BOP on Verve

Outstanding!!! The best I have ever heard from Bird. I need to make it a point to listen and read more about Parker. For some reason I don't have a clear picture of Bird or Dizzy.

The line up includes anyone who is anyone. Even Miles.

Fascinating and often funny notes by Phil Woods. The story where Bird asked Woods "have you eaten today", gives us a peek into the real world of being a Jazz musician.

The Cd is in mono, which is not a criticism. Excellent sound quality. It passed a major test with me, I listened to the entire CD non-stop, twice!! I felt I got a sense of why this music was 'new'. It really draws you in.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Rok, offhand, I don't remember the comment you made, but I understood where you were coming from; I don't like all of Bird's Bop, but I knew this was very special, and you would enjoy it. Maybe you do have a clear picture; Bird recorded a lot of music with a lot of people, and some days were better than others, that CD said Birds "Best Bop", and that said it all.

Here are two guys who have teamed up a lot through the years and they sound good each time, they have a certain chemistry together. There are several here that cover a span of time, I only selected one, and while they've aged, they still seem young musically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGjMojMh-FM

Enjoy the music.
Houston Person, one of my favorites. I love him on this CD. Glad to see it's finally on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiE2ZPEp0pY

Everyone should own this CD. Check out the B3! No muffled sounds here.

Listen at 9:21 on "what's Going on" If you don't just shout YES!!! Git outta Jazz!!

Every track awesome!

Cheers
George Russell -- SEVEN CLASSIC ALBUMS

Muli-CD package. Four Discs. Sound quality excellent on all discs. Same level of sound quality as the "100 Greatest Jazz Tunes of the 1950's".

The music is mostly big band. All arrangements by George Russell. Disc #1 is the most straight ahead of the discs. The players are mainstream greats. Art Farmer and Doc Severinson on trumpet. Also includes Coltrane and Evans. Vocals by Jon Hendricks.

I liked the first disc. Every time Hendricks said "New York, New York" I would say "the Biggggggggg Apple". :) Remember the Last Poets?

The other three disc are more 'avant-garde or experimental or modern. Not the worst I have heard. It does not irritate, just not my favorite stuff. You and Acman3 might like it. You guys are way more 'progressive' than I am.

The Trumpet is now Don Ellis. hmmmmmmm. Even Eric Dolphy makes an appearance. I was not that familiar with the groups playing on the last three disc. Interesting take on "You are my Sunshine" on the last disc.

If you like the 'modern' stuff, you might like George Russell.

I also just received "Gene Harris and The Three Sounds at the IT Club". Much more my style.

Cheers
I piped R & B in Jazzy Groove, into the big rig to enjoy the sonics.

I've heard that intro into "Night Life" by Dakota a million and 1 times live by different blues bands, on different tunes, and although it was the same, it still sounded good.

"Our Day will Come" made me want to hear "Ruby and The Romantics";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q1HaofSVu8

Enjoy the music.