Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, you're the joke; if you had stayed on this thread, which is the only one where you fit, you would be "hip" enough to follow the inside joke without explanation; but you chose to bounce around. Now you're like the "prodigal son" discontent in any way you turn. Just keep turning and which way is best will come to you.

Don't forget to enjoy the music while you're turning.
O-10, you need to take a chill pill. The only place that I was "going" was an attempt at humor which you obviously misunderstood. Humor (parody) which you feel free to dole out and obviously can't take. I offer this explanation out of courtesy; courtesy which you don't deserve given your ridiculous and offensive reaction.

You have been claiming to have heard Trane live since this thread's inception. Now we learn, as I always suspected, that it was, as you say, an "overstatement" (lie). Bottom line: wether he had heard Trane live or not, any true "aficionado" would have been able to tell it was not Trane in the video for a variety of reasons: alto not tenor, rhythm personell, electric guitar player (?!), video quality (way too modern); oh yeah, and a minor detail, the saxophone playing itself is clearly not Trane's. As far as your comment about being "hip", please don't embarrass yourself any more than you already have.

I truly don't know where your tirade came from; it certainly was not deserved. I will simply assume that you got up on the wrong side of the bed or perhaps had too much to drink last night. I am sorry that my leaving your thread caused you distress; so, in spite of your hostility, I will be sure to not leave you to fend for yourself again. So, continue in your pursuit of trying to be hip (or should I say "boss"?); I wish you well.

Btw, the name is Elvin not Alvin as you have written several times.

Frogman when I saw "Trane" he was playing a "Soprano Sax" and this is what the group looked like. The nice part was the fact that it was in a small club and I was no more than 20 feet away from the group. As I recall "My Favorite Things" was over a half hour long, because "Trane" went off into his "private thing" to parts unknown. Now I ask you does that look like any kind of a "Sax"? No, it looks like a clarinet. Envy is eating you alive Frogman because you never saw Trane playing any kind of sax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kPXw6YaCEY

I didn't see Trane in some "monster auditorium" or huge place like this one, but in an intimate night club where I sat at a table with another couple, a professional drummer, and a beautiful sexy lady; it was the kind of setting you dream about.

Since you like to check details, the name of the club was "Gino's" in St. Louis.

You have been claiming to have heard Trane live since this thread's inception. Now we learn, as I always suspected, that it was, as you say, an "overstatement" (lie). Bottom line: wether he had heard Trane live or not, any true "aficionado" would have been able to tell it was not Trane in the video for a variety of reasons: alto not tenor, rhythm personell, electric guitar player (?!), video quality (way too modern); oh yeah, and a minor detail, the saxophone playing itself is clearly not Trane's. As far as your comment about being "hip", please don't embarrass yourself any more than you already have.

Now you're saying my claim to have seen Trane was a lie. I can only say, "Peace be with you Frogman".
Quantum Mechanics allows for Something to come from Nothing. Sort of like this 'Ruckus".

Cheers