Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I grew up in a time when a form of Jazz , big band + American
songbook vocals, was THE pop music of American Culture .
Seems to me biggest thing that happened was Audience died/is dying and young population was brainwashed by rock .

There are social psychologists who believe rock is a genre
that looks inward and thwarts community which is useful to a society where half the population is really not needed in any role other than consumer .

Rok, that was a highly relevant question in regard to where the "new jazz" was created. When I was traveling a lot, and going to clubs, the music was different everywhere I went. In none of the places would I consider the new music any better, it was all good, just different; Atlanta was different from LA, and Chicago different from St. Louis. Although I've never been to New York, they seem to think what ever originates there has or should set the standard; "It ain't necessarily so."

There was even a difference in jazz from E. St. Louis and St. Louis, Mo. The jazz from E. St. Louis was the most individualistic, it was the most "Afrocentric", while jazz from the other side of the river was what you call "jazz jazz"; closer connected to "Bird" and that lineage. Jazz from E. St. Louis had no lineage, which is why when I went to a new lounge and heard a new group, I was floored; they used instruments like the African finger piano, and unusual drums.

The only group I know from St. Louis that has recorded and played consistently over the years, that I heard a lot live, was the "Trio Trebien". There is no group I've heard live more times than I've heard these guys. This same tune on my CD sounds much better; while I like everything on the CD, this is my favorite tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1umU82ZAU

I don't approach music from an intellectual point of view; Ambrose's music seemed to wander, at times like one band was playing two different tunes. Maybe at another time in a different mood I might like it.

Rok, I know your thoughts on later day Trane and Miles.

Enjoy the music.
Frogman, I love that recording, and always heard Miles in Ambrose's playing, but I never thought of the connection to the great 60's band. The interplay of Ambrose and Walter Smith lll does remind me of that band.Thanks!
O-10:

Got out my CD of Trio Tres Bien. It was a lot better than I remember it being the first time around. My favorite tune is 'Tender-Hearted'.

Their sound belies the small size of the group. The really get a lot out of just the three players. I said once before, that the composition of the picture on the back of the CD could have been better. But they play very well.

*****Although I've never been to New York, they seem to think what ever originates there has or should set the standard; "It ain't necessarily so."****

I agree that the NYC arts community seems to be of this point of view, but this is probably true of all major cities in all countries. They are full of themselves. :) I remember seeing a program on TV about the NYPO playing in North Korea. They can take their asses to that nut job country, but I bet they have never played in Mississippi or Kansas etc....... Too hip I guess.

*****I don't approach music from an intellectual point of view*****

John Philip Sousa says:
"Jazz will endure just as long people hear it through their feet instead of their brains."

You can find any number of great musicians to support ANY point of view on Jazz and Music. I think Sousa nailed it.

Cheers