Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, I love that recording, and always heard Miles in Ambrose's playing, but I never thought of the connection to the great 60's band. The interplay of Ambrose and Walter Smith lll does remind me of that band.Thanks!
O-10:

Got out my CD of Trio Tres Bien. It was a lot better than I remember it being the first time around. My favorite tune is 'Tender-Hearted'.

Their sound belies the small size of the group. The really get a lot out of just the three players. I said once before, that the composition of the picture on the back of the CD could have been better. But they play very well.

*****Although I've never been to New York, they seem to think what ever originates there has or should set the standard; "It ain't necessarily so."****

I agree that the NYC arts community seems to be of this point of view, but this is probably true of all major cities in all countries. They are full of themselves. :) I remember seeing a program on TV about the NYPO playing in North Korea. They can take their asses to that nut job country, but I bet they have never played in Mississippi or Kansas etc....... Too hip I guess.

*****I don't approach music from an intellectual point of view*****

John Philip Sousa says:
"Jazz will endure just as long people hear it through their feet instead of their brains."

You can find any number of great musicians to support ANY point of view on Jazz and Music. I think Sousa nailed it.

Cheers
????? *****Although I've never been to New York, they seem to think what ever originates there has or should set the standard; "It ain't necessarily so."****

I agree that the NYC arts community seems to be of this point of view, but this is probably true of all major cities in all countries. They are full of themselves. :) I remember seeing a program on TV about the NYPO playing in North Korea. They can take their asses to that nut job country, but I bet they have never played in Mississippi or Kansas etc....... Too hip I guess. ?????

To quote someone we all know: "Lawdy, lawdy, my burden is great" (or something like that)😀 And knowing that you gentlemen value truth and reality above else, allow me to tell you how the NY arts community really feels; as much as one can generalize about these things. There is as much truth to those assertions as there is to the notion that prejudices like that are borne out of insecurity or inferiority complex; well, probably a lot less. First of all, and particularly since by your own admission you have never been to NY, on what do you base that notion on? Where do you guys get this stuff? Not really important, but just curious. Of importance:

The truth is that in major metropolitan areas one finds the greatest number of artists, and for that reason, as well as others, one also generally finds the best artists; with notable exceptions, of course. They want to be where "the action is" and be challenged. This is particularly true of jazz at the present time. That is not to say that there aren't great artists in smaller cities; there are. The attitude of artists in the major metropolitan areas like NY is not what you describe. Jazz players have historically respected and sometimes revered the playing traditions of smaller cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Phlladelphia, Kansas City and many others. They even have names for the styles born in some of the places; "Texas tenor" is just one. Re the NY Philharmonic:

The NY Philharmonic didn't choose to go to Korea, they were invited to perform there and it was seen as an opportunity to improve relations between the two countries. If the Philharmonic has not performed in Miss. or Kansas, why haven't those two cities invited them? Why hasn't the leadership and arts community in those cities sponsored them? I assure you that if the interest, financial and otherwise, were there in these cities, the orchestra would be there. Why put such a negative and distorted spin on this issue?
Eliane Elias: have always been a fan. I really like her mix of Brazilian and jazz. I agree, she is hot. Btw, the trumpet player on the first clip is Randy Brecker who she was married to; brother of the great Michael Brecker. Nice clips, thanks.

Trio Tres Bien: not my cup of tea; sorry. I just don't feel the playing is on a particularly high level. That drummer has bad rhythm! Listen to his solo, the time falls apart at around 1:40 and is not steady the rest of the time; rushes and slows down. And the piano player bangs on the keys too much. I think they have a good concept in mind and simply don't have the tools to execute well. IMO.