Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I love Elaine Elias as well, I like her piano playing as well or better than her voice.
Her and Karen Allison are my go-to girls among current jazz divas, Sassy and Carmen among the deceased .
There are a lot of fine Jazz players in the Twin Cities and in accordance with the "Minnesota nice" laws in force here they are all humble .
OBVIOUSLY jazz and classical players as well must gravitate to bigger cities or they would starve to death .

Rok, I got my CD out, and it's easy for me to see how "Tender Hearted" is your favorite; it has a subtle "Gospel grace" that came from deep within the heart of the artists. Those musicians are well known and loved in this community; "Tender Hearted" was a projection of who they are, as well as the people who they associate with.

When I listened to my CD, it was easy for me to understand Frogman's criticisms; that "youtube" had so much distortion that Jeter's playing louder for contrast and emphasis sounded like banging. Sorry I couldn't find a better "you tube".

Enjoy the music.
NYC Arts Scene:
It's hard for us peasants in 'fly-over territory' to resist taking shots at you folks 'way up there' in New York.

Love Supreme Catch:
I Knows my scriptures, and my Trane :)

NYPO:
The Bolshoi Ballet came to my small town and did the Nutcracker. Just saying.

Trio Tres Bien:
If you have the CD, and read the notes, then you know these are local guys. Won't be mistaken for The Oscar Peterson Trio.

Elaine Elias:
If someone would destroy all recorded traces, and memory, of, Ella, Billie, Sarah, Dee Dee, Etta, etc....... Then Elias would be fantastic.

The World's foremost Authority has Spoken.

Cheers
****It's hard for us peasants in 'fly-over territory' to resist taking shots at you folks 'way up there' in New York.****

That's alright; we're used to it. However, as usual, it's important, for the sake of the art, to set the record straight. I have news for you: contrary to the often used fall-back position, you're a jazz fan. You obviously know that; but, wait for it.... here it comes....you are NOT part of the "great unwashed". Maybe not as squeaky clean as is possible, but definitely not unwashed 😆. Your burden IS great.

****The Bolshoi.......****

Fantastic! I would bet you that it's cheaper to get the Bolshoi there from Russia than to get the NYP there from NYC. But that's a whole other discussion.

****Trio Tres Bien.......local guys..... Peterson Trio.****

Ya think?! 😉

From the Prodigal Son to The World's Greatest Authority: keep up the good fight. Keep bathing 'though, will ya.