What vintage speaker might you use today

Like to find out what "vintage speakers" members would/might use in their current audio set-up

Do you think what made them special was the synergy between them and the amp used, or just the fact they were well designed and performed way above their price tag.??
sunnyjim
Allison One, more fun than any speaker I've heard, was built with triangle shape to be placed in corners, magnificent tone with no mid suckout , totally realistic in symphonic music !
My recommendation would be
* Apogee - any model such as Stage, Diva, Scintilla (I own one at present), Caliper.
* ESL 57, ESL 63 (as Almarg also recommended)
* Tannoy - Gold series monitor, Little Red, Super Red, System DMT II (i.e. series 2. The series I was pretty forgettable sonically). I presently have a System 10 DMT II & it is really a very, very good speaker. It has practically zero WAF but the sonics are fantastic. A lot of the older/vintage Tannoy speakers used Alnico magnets & their sonics are much revered & sought after. Just FYI, the System II DMT was an early 1990s speaker.
The age of speakers doesn't hold much interest to me unless where it's followed by a shift in design - at least that to me is what truly signifies a "vintage" speaker, when they eschew in central areas what is typically seen with contemporary speakers and for the latest decades now. If age alone was the main factor defining vintage speakers - that is, counting no more than 30-40 years - I'd find their use mostly trivial and lacking compared to their newer siblings in light of the (lack of) development found in this period of time; age would simply begin to slowly work against them, with nothing really to "counter-balance" this decline inherent to the design. Going back 40 or more years, to me, is where vintage begins to truly establish itself via different, and physically larger designs - mostly horns. Really interesting is where these vintage designs are sought refined through re-builds with better materials and construction (cabinetry), better cross-overs, and the equivalent in or evolutionary advanced (pro-)drivers. Vintage designs by that nature hold advantages through sheer size, principle (i.e.: horns), sensitivity, and the type of drivers used. Where these are sought refined (or even replicated/used as is) I find them potentially much more interesting and authentic sounding than contemporary designs of the typical "acoustic suspension"/direct radiating design philosophy brought forth by Edgar Villchur in the early 50's. Hearing some of these vintage speakers is oftentimes a revelation, and makes me wonder the direction "hifi" has taken in the latest decades - for something that is essentially better? No, to the contrary.
All of the speakers I now own qualify as vintage. From oldest to newest these are:

1. Custom 2-way using 15" Jensen woofer and Altec compression driver in an Altec/Western Electric 32A horn. The cabinet is modern and so are the crossover parts, but the drivers and horns date back to the 1940s.

2. Dyna A25. I bought my first set of A25 speakers new in 1970. These came from EBay in the late 1990s. They still sound really nice.

3. Fulton FMI-80. A classic from late 1970s.

4. Spendor SP-100. I bought my pair in 2001 but the design dates back to the late 1980s.

The Jensen/Altecs and Spendors are my everyday speakers in the hifi system. The Dynas are used in the video room. The Fulton alas is the odd man out.

Except for the Spendors, each of these uses Alnico magnets which may have something to do with the enduring good sound, but that is just a guess. What I do know is that I continue to explore the latest and greatest but so far I haven't heard anything that makes me want to replace my vintage speakers.
In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd add the Duntech Sovereigns, still a classic design, and the Snell Type A-III, given that you go to 1989. And going back, Klipschhorns should be in the mix.