Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****This dance in Cuba might to the uninitiated might look like flinging around and jumping to the beat, but it's just as structured as any European dance.******

Count me among the uninitiated.

*****but it's just as structured as any European dance.*****

Ballet is structured. No one can critique the Cuban dancer. Did she do it well? Who knows. As you said, she was just jumping around. The drumming was not related to what she was doing.

Cheers
Haiti Drum Ensemble:
Nonsensical to this western brain. Again, what is this?

Dance Anthropology: Part of the attempt to create 'instant' culture and history. Usually out of thin air.

Beware of these folks who spend their lives trying to make Africa something it wasn't.

I bet you own every Olatunji record. :)

Cheers
Jazz Player Growth:
As an artist moves on, they lose some fans, and gain new ones. I can imagine the frustration an artist feels when the public just wants to hear him play his sole 'mega-hit' every time he performs.

I continued to buy Miles and Trane even after I no longer liked their music. Always thought I would grow into it. I did to some extent. I always trusted the reviewers in Stereo Review.

Cheers
O-10, I admire your interest and passion for native art forms and how you bring it into these discussions; I too appreciate and enjoy much of it. However, and with all due respect, to suggest that Santeria dance is as structured as, say, George Balanchine's choreography seems a bit of a stretch.

Rok, while I suspect that while we probably draw the dividing line between "like" and "no like" as concerns Miles and Trane growth at different points in the chronology, I basically agree with your sentiments. I like all of Miles' music from the standpoint of the fascinating development of him as an artist. I "like" much of his later stuff inasmuch as I respect it because I hear and appreciate that development and the natural progression of his musical persona and the whole inevitability of it. I can listen to mid-late 60s Miles all day; I love it. His later stuff is a different story. Once in a while I will sit and listen to something like Bitches Brew like it sometimes and other times I appreciate it primarily from the vantage point of: "it's so obvious that this is where he was headed" or, "it's so obvious that because of this (Bitches Brew) we now have X,Y or Z". Do I like it always; no way. The same goes for Trane. I think the Miles "sweet spot", for me, is that 60s band with Shorter, Hancock etc. Perfect balance between the more traditional bop thing and the more intellectual and sophisticated harmonic language; not to mention the sheer virtuosity. This clip kills me everytime; to think that Tony Williams was 17 years old!!!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE

Here's Blakey again with one of my favorite tunes. Oscar Pettiford, the man who wrote this, is my favorite bassist, and out of the many versions, this is the best.

"Cubano Chant" is another one of my favorite tunes; "what the hay, I like everything on this album", this was written by Ray Bryant, who appears on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoqCGc12Rog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7l9jnyhRnc

"Nica's Tempo" catches "Jackie McClean" in his very best form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRy9oR-cgg

Enjoy the music.