Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, Harold Land has been with me every since this never ending journey began in Chicago at my cousins apartment. This was like in 56, and he had every boss jazz LP that was recorded up until that time. Although I've tried hard to duplicate his collection, it's impossible; but Brown and Roach with Harold Land are available. My favorite cut on that LP was "Delilah".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_fmhtePoc

Enjoy the music.

Rok, if you go back to 11-22-15, tribute to Katherine Dunaham, and let the program run all the way through until it stops, you will make several amazing discoveries.
I didn't realize Wynton Marsalis was part of the tribute.. This should have been your first post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDo7l1aOfA

Wynton and Carmen Delavallade:
This is dance. I can connect with this. This is awesome! Only let down by piss-poor camera work. Miss Carmen is a stone Fox. What sensual moves! It's a wonder poor Wynton could concentrate on his nuts and bolts. And Wynton's playing was just PERFECT. Is there anything this guy cannot do?

So you see, there is no need for you to go running off to Africa and all that mindless and constant jumping around nonsense. The real talent is right here.

Great Post

Cheers
Masekela Piece:

As one reviewer said,"a feast for the eyes", and for my ears because I love Masekela's music. But the story meant nothing to me. I am getting a little weary of the never ending whining about that damn 'coal train'. I don't think he has made a CD without the coal train tune on it.

You would think with what's going on in Africa today, there would be bigger fish to fry. But as usual, if it can't be blamed on white folks, it's not a problem.

Nice to look at, buyt can't hold a candle to the Wynton / Carmen piece. As always, IMHO.

Nice post

Cheers