Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Our house is the one with the big turkey and the feast. That's been going on so long that those who were kids have teenagers of their own whose names I can't remember. When I meet one face to face, I'll mumble what I think is their name, and they'll smile, but I also detect a grin at a private joke (he can't remember my name).

In regard to political issues, this gathering is no different from this forum; we don't agree, but we knew that before they came, although this is only since Obama was elected.

The very best thing about this Thanksgiving is: after I said the blessing, I found a comfortable spot outside all traffic lanes, and stayed there the entire evening, while guests made themselves at home, and to my amazement they had no problem with that.

We'll look to Frogman for musical direction.

Enjoy the music.
"Segue" - (in music) to proceed without pause from one musical theme or
number to another.
- A smooth transition.

Given recent commentary and the main topic of this thread, the Cachao "Master Sessions" clip is probably as perfect a segue as is possible.

Cachao (Israel Lopez), along with Lecuona, Brauer, More, D'Rivera to name a few, is one of the names that one thinks of when one thinks about Cuban music. Of the same stature in that music as Gershwin, Parker, etc. are in American music. A brilliant classically trained bassist from a family of bassists (!), he was also a composer of over 3000 pieces in the traditional Cuban "danzon" style which is the style most represented in this recording "Master Sessions Vol. 1". Importantly, he was responsible for the creation of the popular "mambo" style; similar to danzon, but at a slower tempo. The importance of Cachao in Cuban music is huge.

I don't mean to bring up the subject of politics again, and apologies for doing so, but Rok's perfect segue makes it almost impossible to not point out that Cachao left Cuba for the USA in order to escape the oppression of an ideology that is, in many respects, the ultimate expression of the opposite of the debated "greatness" of the USA. He is an outspoken critic of that ideology which while professing to want to help the poor, completely controls their lives, denies freedom of speech (and much worse), and keeps them in an equal (ity), but decidedly needy and deprived state; certainly as compared to what the "poor" experience in this country. Enough of that and back to music.

"Master Sessions Vol. 1". Love that record and have owned it since its release and its award of a Grammy. It not only covers many of the traditional styles of Cuban music, especially "danzon", which shaped what modern Cuban music (salsa, timba) is today, but is a great example of the breadth of Cachao's musical persona with elements of the traditional, of Classical music (intro to "Lluvia"), a bit of the modern, and features some fabulous playing. Is it Jazz? Not in the usual sense. If the question must be asked, I would say the answer is in another question: Is Ragtime jazz? If we can call modern Cuban music "Latin Jazz" then I think the Ragtime question applies. From a chronological standpoint and looking at all the styles that shaped what we now can agree is (American) "Jazz", then yes it's Latin Jazz. There is certainly a lot of improvisation in the instrumental solos and in the vocal call-and-response. Ultimately, the label doesn't matter; great music it is. For an interesting, subtle, but very telling example of how jazz and the tradition of this music come together listen to the horn solos on "Mi Guajira". The trumpet and trombone players are clearly more steeped in the traditional Cuban style of phrasing, less "swing" (in the usual sense) and an almost conversational style, while the tenor player's style, from his tone to the bending of notes suggests a leaning toward the Jazz side of things.

Great clip. Thanks!
Frogman, there is a lot more "justice" now than there was before the revolution.
Cachao:

I agree, call it what you will, it's great playing and beautiful music.

Cuba:

I think some people find it hard, to see such a beautiful tropical paradise like Cuba, as a deadly Stalinist dictatorship, but that's exactly what it is. As bad as any in the former Eastern European communist bloc. Castro's flamboyant personality, the diversity of the people, the Cuban Musical scene, and their love of Baseball, are big reasons for this misconception. As strange as this might seem.

But, I am confident, relations with the U.S., will be the beginning of the regime's downfall.

Cheers

This is my musical contribution for the evening;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puN0ebZfT_k

This makes me wish I could dance. Can all Cubans dance? That may seem like a dumb question, but I never met one who couldn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqs99W-8YGw

While I'm not into the religion, I certainly like the music and dance that go with the religion. How about just dance and music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYqXwi4QXU

This is Ravi Shankar's daughter; "Ain't she pretty"! This is a most unusual combination;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhF3g4wI_w

Enjoy the music.