Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks Chazro. Cachao is truly an icon and his plight one of the many stories about the tragedy of the Cuba story.
Consider what kind of talent, fortitude and sense of self inspires a sixteen year old, black, gay young man, in 1933, to compose a song like this. Today is Billy Strayhorn's birthday and I can't think of a more beautiful and inspired song than this. If this is not yet more proof that this music (jazz) is just as serious as any other, I don't what is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6_LUDa_Zw

A favorite version with fantastic orchestral arrangement:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGRKWG6Y08w

Rok, and Frogman, I did volunteer work for Larry Rice at his big homeless shelter right here in St. Louis. I helped put up the TV station. There were very few "normal" people at that big shelter. It was composed primarily of winos, and people who should have been in a mental institution, normal people who had fallen on hard times were in and out. That I believe was in 85. Now, 90% of the people in shelters seem "normal" and some even better educated; that's not at all normal.

I posted this to let you guys know that I'm repressing my opinion of what you think about this subject, not to start a new conversation.

Enjoy the music.
*****I posted this to let you guys know that I'm repressing my opinion of what you think about this subject, *****

That's what is known as self-censorship. I look forward to hearing your repressed thoughts on the matter.

Cheers
Actually, I would call it self indulgent and passive aggressive. To announce one's self censorship of an acknowledged disagreement is the same as being outspoken about it; and, in fact, even more provocative. So, O-10, by all means, let it rip. How'd you like the Nancy Wilson clip?