The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
i am assuming that this thread pertains to those speakers we've OWNED, not simply auditioned so...within my budget I'd have to say that my Thiel CS 3.5's have been my reference pair when comparing.  I'm also a big fan of Von Schweikert, currently enjoying the VR2's mated to an MC275 amplifier.  I consider Thiels to be Maggies with bass; the mids and the highs are etched beautifully always making me listen to just one more recording.  Bang for the buck?  If you can find a decent pair of Meadowlark Kestrel or Nighthawks you'll be fortunate.  Fun thread!
Sorry for the delayed response to Roxy 1927 above but I get busy with work this time of year. My price range has topped out at around $4,000 for loudspeakers, marginally higher with amplifiers and preamplifiers. I have purchased most of my loudspeakers used as well. I just picked up a pair of Thiel CS 3.5's from a fellow member for $350, which are in outstanding shape. The EQ had even been tweaked by Jim Thiel due to a loose solder connection. These are amazing speakers, at any price range IMHO. I won't be giving these up again.
Sonus Faber Cremonas over every other speaker that I have heard, including some in the $20,000 + range. Great midrange and excellent, you- are- there-live soundstaging!
Why limit it to speakers you've only owned.  It's ever heard.  Many of us get out a lot to stores and audition many speakers. In the last couple of weeks I've heard speakers ranging in price from 250k to 200.  I've not liked most of what I've heard.   Most of the ones I've listened to for a few hours have given me enough to know that I couldn't never enjoy them.  Too often I heard that upper midrange ringing that so many folks mistake for extension of treble or openess of a speaker.  Many of these high end speakers do one or two things really well, but let me down in some areas that I personally can't live with.  Others seem to like the 'hifi' sound and that's why we have so many choices.  The Vandersteen 7's  are still in the top spot for me.  There are many top speakers I've been unable to hear as they aren't in my area, or I don't know WHO is showing them out of their basement. I'm still learning that this industry has changed so much, lol.  I just hope a thread like this helps many who are following to go out and go audition.  There are still plenty of great audio stores and now home based stores where you can audition.  That's the only way you will know what you like or dislike.  That's the only way we can keep this industry going forward.  You don't have to buy those expensive models, but I bet many will rethink what they have and will want to change out or it will just confirm that you have what you should have. JMHO
Mine.

The first time I heard Avant Garde Duos they bested anything I'd heard until that point.  That's when I knew that high efficiency speakers were the answer.

Now I have eXemplar Horns with Karlson subs.

I have yet to hear anything better, anywhere.