Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Schubert, I came to the same conclusion in regard to poverty and homelessness and the "Goners"; it's a waste of time.
Rok, that Benny Carter recording is fabulous.  I was not aware of its existence and features some of my favorite players.  Benny Carter was an amazing musician.  Not only was he a great alto stylist, he was also a terrific trumpet player and arranger.  Thanks for that.  
Pulled this one off the shelf today.  The Miles we all know and Love.  As The Frogman might say, with a line-up like this, what could possibly go wrong?   Answer; not a thing.

He recorded more than 'Kind of Blue'.  i know, I know,  it's hard to believe.

Total playing time a little over 46 minutes.  Shorter than some of Coltrane's solos. :)
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUGkPo2N7jM[/url]

One of the tunes is by Gershwin.   Did he ever write music for Jazz Band or small  group Jazz?   I know a lot of his stuff is played, but I am not sure if any was written esp for Jazz band.  Did he ever play Jazz?

Listening to American in Paris, Rhapsody in Blue,  and Porgy and Bess, you can tell he had the talent to do.

Benny Carter:  Another one we have neglected.

Cheers
O-10, if by "waste of time" you mean converting me to your point of view then you're probably correct.  However, if, as I had hoped, you mean having respectful, mature and intelligent discourse and exchange of ideas even if there is disagreement, then it would not be.  You insist on distorting what the thrust of my initial statement on the subject was.  I am visiting this issue once again because you don't seem to be able to let it go and continue to insinuate what many that share your point of view often do; that they have a monopoly on compassion .  Nothing could be further from the truth.  The only disagreement is in what the best course of action for a viable solution might be; nothing more.  I will try it one more time:

I agree with you that some people need the social safety nets that, by your own admission, already exist.  Wether more can or should be done can be debated and I do think that better and smarter use of resources can be done.  However, history shows that simply throwing more tax payer money at the problem is seldom the way at a solution.  As in music, relying solely on an "emotional reaction" instead of a more pragmatic understanding will seldom yield good results.  My initial and optimistic comment was simply that this country is, in spite of its problems and shortcomings, is a great country.  To not be able to acknowledge the largess of this country and the fact that opportunity exists for those willing to work hard is what is, in fact, "having the blinders on".  Ironically, the very clips you posted demonstrate how blinded by ideology someone can be.  It is almost laughable to use the testimony of an out of work aspiring beauty queen wearing expensive jewelry and a $300 haircut to try to make your point and in another clip the very person who is asked how he found himself in that predicament admits "probably because of all the mistakes that I made".  Should there be no consequences for bad choices and mistakes?  

While I admire your passion for this issue, I am not sure you understand just how provocative and skewed you come across in some of your commentary on this topic.  I ask that if I ever contact you privately about a matter that you don't take the liberty of posting my opinions on a public forum in order to buttress your point of view.

A "Goner".

BTW, re "Con Alma": there are probably dozens of big band versions of the tune.  The clip you posted is a big band version of the tune; not THE big band version.  
Rok, re Gershwiin: you mention Rhapsody In Blue.  The original version is referred to as the "original Jazz band version".  Written for the Paul Whiteman band which was considered a jazz band at the time; although there was not much improvisation in that band.