What to do with bad recorded CDs

When I upgraded to Mcintosh and Accuphase - Kef speaker system, I am in heaven for the first time I started this hobby a decade ago.

I found my-self not even breathing, to capture every bit of nuance of the music... It was a great moment for me - and I am a professional musician. Rarely do I encounter such moments in live music !

Good Hifi can equal if not better live performance - for me.

But alas, heaven turned into he-- when I put on badly recorded materials. It revealed bad CDs to the point of me wanting to throw them away.

What do audiophiles do about that ? Go back to a lesser system to play these ? Or should I throw away great portion of my collection ?
gonglee3
They become background music in the basement system when I'm working on a project.
+1 beewax. Also if I like the music enough and know it sounds better on other formats I will use a zero stat that is designed for Lps to remove static charge and many times will make it much more listenable. Don't laugh to hard , try it first . Then laugh if needed. Best
I also have a collection of sub par recordings ( excellent performances, however) that stay in my car. If its a bad recording and a bad performance, I give them away.

All that said, as my system has improved, I have found that I have fewer and fewer bad recordings. For years, I was frustrated with the Harmonia Mundi label, which fairly consistently delivered excellent performances compromised by what I thought was digital glare in the upper frequencies. That "digital glare" disappeared with better ac delivery. Power cords and power treatment to address RFI/EMI made a huge difference.

My new Sony HAPZ1 has substantially improved reproduction of a number of cds that I would have characterized as bad recording quality.

Some of these bad recordings may be bad. Or, they maybe revealing something that is not optimal in the system.
I added a Pangea AC14SE power cord for my DAC recently.

The biggest difference I seem to notice with this is that my worst loudness wars CDs that had some edge to them prior are no longer fatiguing to listen to. A good example is Accelerate by REM and Death Magnetic by Metallica.

This cord is designed for use in source and line level gear to reduce noise and distortion, and I think that is what I am hearing overall and is most noticeable with the edgiest CDs I own that now seem to be more pleasant.

SO yeah, if you still do not know what to do with your bad recordings, seriously, send them to me. I might be able to wean some enjoyment out of them. :^)