Tried analog yet again after decades of digital

Ok Im posting this on the digital format because Id be handed my head if on the analog side.I like many over the years decided to try analog again.Ive hauled around records for years from place to place and never really wanted to part with them,more a memory thing I guess.To the point,I purchased a VPI scout recently,mounting a benz micro cartridge to it and various phone preamps I have inside such things as receivers and integrated amps along with a stand alone phono.Bought the record cleaner machine and all the stuff necessary to use the format properly,I think.Set the table up with time and patience and dialed it in as best I could without getting anal about it.What Im finding is a format that is really inferior to digital IMO.I say this forgetting the fact I wasn't expecting much as years ago I tried the same venture with disappointment of the out come.The constant snap ,crackle pop even on unplayed records,the hassle of having to get up every 15 minute to change the side,constant cleaning,setup of the table,all the bobbles needed to make it all go.I think to even come close to digital one must spend tons of money and tons of time.Im sure there are sytems that sound incredible,but at what expense and how much time devoted to it..Dont get me wrong its fun to play music that never made it to disc but anyone thinking alone these same lines as to recapturing what was once the only game in town,think long and hard.
missioncoonery
Yes, there are other ways to deal with static. Most are hit and miss because vinyl is an insulator and pockets of static charge can get on the surface. Unless you contact that pocket directly, a brush or Zerostat will not be that effective. I have tried those ozone/ionizers that are battery operated and they are basically the same as a Zerostat, only better because they produce a flow of ionized gas and you don't need to keep pulling a trigger.

The one sure fire way that always works is dipping in a fluid like deionized water. It is the ultimate "humidifier". With a small amount (~2%) of IPA (iso-propyl alcohol) for wetting, it gets in the smallest nooks and grooves a brush cannot. Dries with zero residues if you use high quality DI water.

Would rather use pure water than any "anti-static" spray that could leave residues or contamination.
Vinyl had a very long run as the standalone medium without many contenders barking behind it. (I'm talking populist application here, not necessarily audiophile)  I started on 45rpm singles, graduated to 33 1/3, had an 8 track followed by a cassette deck in my cars, then a reel to reel in my home, onto the compact disc.  Whew.  Long trip. 

At the end of all this, this long and winding road, I must admit that my preferred medium is...(drum roll, please) the compact disc. (Ducking, cowering..)

I have spent as much on vinyl equipment as I have on disc, so I've been fair to either medium over the years. Fact of the matter is that either medium, as well as all of the associated equipment required to listen to both are...one and the same thing, artificial reproductions of musical information. Period. 

I have never in my life listened to an audio system that made me think the sound was live.  Never.  Never will, either; and I have spent some enviable coin over the years on my various setups. 

Vinyl to me now is more of a priveleged allocation of time, very amusing when a youngster's around and sees a turntable for the first time. I'm 59 so "youngster" is a fairly broad spectrum...

It's been a very long time since I've hosted a party and heard someone changing an LP while I was out of the room.  We all remember THAT sound,  don't we?

My preference for the CD,  or even downloaded music,  is derived from the simplicity of playback, of care, of maintenance.  I have what I think is pretty good equipment for playback so I'm quite doubtful I'm missing anything audible;  what's a few hertz here or there between friends, aye?

The youngsters I referred to earlier barely know what a compact disc is. I was rather surprised to be shopping in an office supply store last week when I spotted blank CD's for sale. Even I thought that was passè by this point.  Even for business purposes alone. Sheesh. 

I'm not letting go of my vinyl or turntable, nor my CD transport, DAC. Both have their place in my system, in my life, both also give me something tangible to physically appreciate unlike downloaded music.  The medium, the message, the listener.  Tin ears, golden ears. 

Good forum.  Holiday cheers to all. 

All things being equal--equal in the sense that all components are of the same price point or level of quality, my experience is that vinyl provides a natural and dimensional sound that cannot often be equalled by digital.
 In fact, I remember a vinyl to cd comparison with the high end DCS stack vs the top of the line Basis turntable at the NY audio show about 5 years ago with some expensive high end separates (I believe Burmester, but not positive). The purpose was to demonstrate how far DCS digital had come and to promote the DCS stack. I sat among a fairly large crowd of people whom I had never met. After a number of identical "mastered from original source" cd and vinyl selections were played, it was explained to us how we had just heard how digital has finally equalled or surpassed vinyl in SQ. In fact, many of us walked out at that point and joined in a conversation in the hall among audiophile strangers as to whether, in fact, the dealer was using some reverse psychology to sell the Basis turntable. Not one of the fellas in the hall thought the DCS stack was that close to the Basis in SQ. Of, course, the turntable, arm and cart (Lyra Titan at that time) was an expensive set up, but well short of the cost of the DCS stack.
Needless to say, that demonstration merely confirmed my opinion that existed prior and still does today.
However, if you never want to hear a tic, snap or pop in your music and do not cotton to the inconvenience of vinyl, I can surely understand trying to obtain the best digital presentation possible. Every year, the best digital gets closer and closer to the natural presentation of vinyl----maybe someday it will get there. 
I have pretty humble setups both on the digital and turntable front, but I find myself listening to digital more often.

Though, when I feel like listening to something I haven't heard in years, and I just want to sit and melt away, I dig out the vinyl and enjoy it.

Although I agree that fiddling with vinyl is time consuming, I can't say I haven't fiddled with my digital playback just as much, if not more.  But, with digital, it's always been troubleshooting a problem, which I enjoy, but can be far more time consuming.

In the end, to me, my system is just a means for me to enjoy music.  There's no rule saying as an audio lover, you HAVE to enjoy vinyl :)  The system is there as a means for you to enjoy music.  If it's becoming a hurdle, then it's not really serving it's purpose.

With that said, I would suggest one last thing.  Try one more table.  Just one more.  Nothing fancy, and nothing more expensive...but it's entirely possible that the Scout sound is not your cup of tea.  Like, for example, if you want something that sounds more...say...refined, try a Clearaudio Concept.  If something more energetic, try a Rega RP6.  Shouldn't lose much if any money, since all three table sell for about the same.  I'm sure you tried a couple of dac's before you found the sound you wanted from digital.  And, if that next table is equally disappointing to you...then, well, at least you gave it an honest go, didn't waste any more money trying...and you can peacefully put it out of your mind for good :)