Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
Unsound I kind of agree. I wouldn't say five guys outright sucks but it would becso much better if you could get a burger cooked medium rare.

Even the big chain places like chilis etc burgers have gotten to be at least tolerable since they started offering burgers cooked less than medium well.

Mark
Hhh the R.B. Fat Burger on PCH was the best and later the ones Magic Johnson owned on the West Side were great. Once Magic sold out the quality dropped.
If you are doing the food tour of LA, I think my fav old school restaurant is Phillipes The Original. Lamb and beef dips are delish. My car can go there on autopilot.

Up North, I love Joe's Cable Car in SF, The Squeeze in Sacramento, and Lunchbox Lab in Seattle. Back Yard Burger in Little Rock also rocks my world.
Philjolet,

Go to Redamak's in New Buffalo, MI. Pan fried with grilled onions; simple is still the best. You can thank me later.

:-)

David
02-22-10: Byegolly

Fatburger was decent in late 80's/early 90's - they must be gone or crap now cause no one ever mentions them anymore.

02-22-10: Samhar
Hhh the R.B. Fat Burger on PCH was the best and later the ones Magic Johnson owned on the West Side were great. Once Magic sold out the quality dropped.
Certain ones still are. I just took the XXXXL(four 1/2 lb patties w/ cheese and full fixins) challenge at the Redondo Beach Fatburger a month ago, and besides being a serious undertaking, it was one of the best burgers I've had in a long time. It was juicy beyond all getout. What I like about FB is that they still seriously season their beef patties.

Hhh, thanks for the Buffalo Fire Dept tip in Old Torrance. I live about 15 minutes from there and will give it a try in the next week or so.
More to discover