Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
Byegolly, back when I was a student at Georgia Tech, my room mates and I *lived* on Wendy's. They were fine burgers! I recall enjoying many orders of Wendy's Triples.
02-23-10: Tvad
I've never gotten aboard the In-N-Out craze. Their burgers just don't stand out to me.
Agreed. Thin, tasteless, patties. You have to go "off menu" to get anything remotely tasting like hamburger with meat. Four-by patties is the only way, and then it's not exactly a budget burger, is it?

And how they've gotten away with those lame fries all these years is beyond me. I applaud them for cutting the fries right out fresh potatoes in front of your face, but let's make them a little thicker and cook the damn things a little longer, please.
So, I'm still searching for the great LA burger. I'll have to try Father's Office when I get to the west side.
Father's Office has gone upscale, unless you go to the original hole in the wall in Brentwood. I was just at the new Culver City mega-digs and their beer selection is impressive, but they have to pay for the prime real estate...

Try Nickel Diner - 525 Main Street, downtown LA. Great burger and phenomenal deserts. Be sure to try their red velvet cake(w/ crushed malt balls), homemade Ding Dongs, and maple-glazed bacon donuts.
Hey Darkmoebius, thanks for the Nickel Diner tip. The menu looks very interesting. Gonna check it out next time we're downtown for the LA Phil.
I'll acknowledge Unsound's complaints about 5 Guys, but I still think that they're among the better ones you can get around here in NJ. Another pretty good one down the Shore, as we say here, which has char broiled burgers, is the Windmill chain, not bad, but I prefer the 5 Guys fries (Windmill's hot dogs are excellent, though, especially when you have them put on the char broiler). I am not as big a fan of the In-N-Out burgers as my son, I guess it's an acquired taste on the West Coast.

I am very pleased to see that no one on this thread has mentioned White Castle burgers, which I find to be awful even if they are a cult fave!
More to discover