Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
I actually love the one in Glendora on Old Route 66.
Bongofury (Answers)
Yup. The location that introduced me to The Hat.
My girlfriend just turned me onto The Hat 2 years ago and I'm kinda hooked when I get my car serviced at the Ford dealership a few yards away.

Another old-style pastrami sandwich/hot dog/burger joint is Johnny's Pastrami in Culver City at Sepulveda & Washington Blvd right off the 405 Fwy. That joints been around since 50+ yrs and still going strong. It's not your good Jewish deli type of pastrami sandwich, but more of a street corner(which it is) joint french dip sandy. Not to mention Tito's Tacos is also right next door(if you don't mind a 30+ deep line 24/7).

There's also another Johnny's Pastrami on Adams at Crenshaw & Adams Blvd just a few yards south of the 10 fwy. This one's been around since '56. Depending on how cosmopolitan you are, the area might be a little too dodgy for the more suburban eater.

We also need to start talking LA barbecue soon, I've got a few good places on my regular rotation list.
Darkmoebius

"Tito's Tacos is also right next door.."

Yum.

When I had work in the area I'd either go to Tito's or an Indian cafeteria/store (20 pound bag of Basmati rice and fresh cardamon anyone?) kinda place further away (name escapes me) with tasty lentil and grain dishes, exotic fruit lassies, pistachio sprinkled desserts, and Bollywood posters on the walls. Loved the smell of spices walking in the door of some of those ethnic grocers. Ditto in NYC as well. Tito's chips fried in lard sure tasted good. Food pyramid be damned.
West on Washington Blvd. The Samosa House, on Venice Blvd. India Sweets And Spices.
India Sweets and Spices - that's it! The one along Fairfax in West LA. My recollections are a little bent. To bad I'm in AZ these days, because AZ sucks big time for food and all I have are memories of much, much better.
More to discover