Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
My favorites in Houston, like you I travel a lot for work, and I would put Houston right at the top along with San Fran (all No Cal really) and New York for food towns. There's a lot of disposible income in Houston due to low cost of living and lots of big business (energy, medical, technology, banking) and it's too hot to be outside for about 8 months, so everyone goes out to eat!!

Top Tier Restaurants:

Brennans

DeMarco

Nino's

Cafe Annie

Mark's on Westhiemer (my fav)

Churrascos

L'Combe D'Or

Steak Houses:

Pappas Brothers

Vic and Anthony's

TexMex or Mexican:

Lupe Tortillas

Goode Co Taqeuria

Pappasitos (Little Pappsitos on Kirby is my fav)

El Tiempo

Ninfas (only the original on Navigation)

Seafood:

Goode Co Seafood

Pappadeaux

Vietnamese:

Nit Noi

Mediterrainian:

Niko Niko's

Ya Ya Mary's

There are lots of great Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants around town, we have huge immigrant populations from those countries. I usually just go along with my buddies to their mom and pop favorites where you need to speak the languages, and eat what they order for me at those spots. If you ever have interest in those, I can get recommendations on those too.

Come now before the heat starts back up next month!!
Texas boys: Are Earl Campbell's "Earl The Pearl" hot links and sausages still as good as I remember them ~15 years ago? I passed through Austin working on a US tour and was simply blown away at his links. I see that he's got a few restaurants now, too. How's the food at them?
Mac Dad: impressive list to make a dent into. D Mob: shoot me an email and we can personally connect. Would love to meet up.
This best burger OP has gone off the rails, but that's cool by me since catering, F&B, fine dining, hotels, etc. were my life for thirty + years. Following up on the sushi posts ,my late wife and I used to rent in Calabasas and we really dug Shibuya over by the post office. Very special, no shortcuts taken sauces/dips/salads and of course their fish. This was back in the mid-1990's. I haven't been back to that area in ages, but an old acquaintance in L.A. tells me that most every place I loved has gotten pricey since my stay.
Byegolly, probably so, but Phillipes the Original still has 25 cent coffee and In-an-Out will cost you a five spot.
More to discover