Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
Tvad. I agree that Fatburger has great meat and bun. The condiment side is a little different than In-n-Out. The former favors 1000 Island where Fatburger has mayo, mustard and ketchup to order. I find that aspect a little more like McDonalds on the taste spectrum. The taste under those circumstances is a little marginalized (especially when mayo is thrown into the mix) and the if ordered with cheese, it is rarely melted into the patty. I think In-N-Out does a better job with the cheese/grilled onions combo.

I think that Fatburger has the best chocolate malts, made from real ice cream, one of the best I have tasted. In N Out's is super sweet where Fatburger's one is very balanced.
Bongofury, that was a nice comparison and contrast between Fatburger and In-n-Out. Fatburger's better meat and bun (and to me...fries), is what makes it preferable. I'm not a big thousand island dressing lover, and since I never load my burgers with ketchup or mayo, that aspect is not important to me.

It wasn't until about ten years ago that started ordering burgers without ketchup and mayo. Once I did, it was a revelation. So much more burger flavor comes through particularly without ketchup.

Anyway, just my POV...
06-10-10: Tvad
Fatburger's better meat and bun (and to me...fries), is what makes it preferable.
I like that they heavily season their meat with pepper, etc - gives it a nice "pop" compared to others.
06-05-10: Bongofury
3X Animal style will slay fatburger.
Not sure I can agree with that. The problem for In & Out is that their patties are not only paper-thin, they are incredibly bland. Adding more patties gives you more meat, but it's still pretty bland, hence the need for "animal sauce".

Now, if you really want a shootout, take a $9 Fatburger XXXL Triple King(24oz of patties)or $13 XXXXL(32oz) and compare it to a 3X Animal Style. Pay close attention to the taste and texture of the meat. Simply no comparison.

Of course, I'd probably take the Tommy's double or triple-cheese burger over both Fatburger and In & out 7 out of 10 times.
More to discover