Review: Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

Category: Digital

I love natural recordings that capture the full acoustic envelope of the performances. The Shostakovich Sonatas performed by Ax and YYMa comes to mind...the Sony portrays the entire event in such an unforced and natural manner that it triggers ones acoustic memory into believing it is real. A player that offers no tone color or openness would be my worst nightmare. I replaced my BAT VK D5 24 bit CDP and was amazed at how much resolution and color was lost on the older design. The Sony re-creates the space, music and acoustic tones with overtones so completely that you start to smile and realize that you have been given a great gift...a peak into the performance as it occured at the recording session. My opinion of the Sony applies as much for the redbook section as it does for the SACD section. This player will become a classic product for digital playback....much better it does not get! It's a keeper at any price,,,for $1500 USD it is a freakin steal. This is Sony's best effort to date and manages to break new ground in the digital domain:)

Associated gear
Wilson Sophia speakers
Krell 400xi amp
Harmonic Tech Cables
MIT Oracle AC 2 power cord

Similar products
Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-XA9000ES
Sony SCD-XA777ES
Levinson 39, 390S, 360S
Wadia 851
Krell SACD Standard
MF A5
BAT VK D524bit
ARC CD 3
128x128dave_b
Tube output devices can euphonize the sound but can
not deliver the complexity and agility of a well done SS player.
Dave_b (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

Bssed on my experience with digital players built with tube output stages, I
disagree.

A player's agility, and its ability to convey complex pasages is completely
dependent on the player's design, regardless of whether its output stage is
tubed or solid state.

A well designed and implemented tubed output stage can be more agile than
a solid state output stage, and vice versa. One should look at the attributes
of each individual player rather than generalize across the board.

The output impedance of the source and the input impedance of the preamp
(or amp if connected directly) will also affect the perceived agility of a player,
since high output impedance matched with low input impedance can result in
rolled off bass and highs which can translate to a perceived pack of agility,
clarity or complexity. This is why a solid state player can sound more agile to
more listeners, IMO, because more solid state players will optimally match
with a wider array of preamps due to the inherent lower output impedance of
solid state designs.

Therefore, one should look at the impedance match between a tubed
component and it's mating preamplifier before determining that the tubed
source component is somehow lacking agility or complexity. It could simply
be a poor impedance match, which could be ameliorated with a higher input
impedance preamp, or by using an impedance matching buffer made by
Burson (for example).
Tvad makes good points and I can only speak from my own experiences with tubed players. I understand and have heard what a well designed tube player can offer, but at the end of the day it doesn't quite deliver an honest representation of the music for me:O)
The power cord supplied with the UK XA5400ES is a total disgrace for this price product and such a poor fit that it will disconnect if accidently slightly touched. However I do not believe in expensive power cords all you need is a heavy duty one fitted with a 13 amp fuse in the UK.
Compared to some of my $15K products the Sony cord 'aint bad! A Transparent Powerlink MM will make the Sony into a world class player.
Thanks for your review. You indicated that you have compared the Sony to the Wadia 851. Could you describe the differences on CD and SACD? Also, have you heard the ARC CD7 or CD8? Or the dCS or Meitner players? Thanks!