Review: Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

Category: Digital

I love natural recordings that capture the full acoustic envelope of the performances. The Shostakovich Sonatas performed by Ax and YYMa comes to mind...the Sony portrays the entire event in such an unforced and natural manner that it triggers ones acoustic memory into believing it is real. A player that offers no tone color or openness would be my worst nightmare. I replaced my BAT VK D5 24 bit CDP and was amazed at how much resolution and color was lost on the older design. The Sony re-creates the space, music and acoustic tones with overtones so completely that you start to smile and realize that you have been given a great gift...a peak into the performance as it occured at the recording session. My opinion of the Sony applies as much for the redbook section as it does for the SACD section. This player will become a classic product for digital playback....much better it does not get! It's a keeper at any price,,,for $1500 USD it is a freakin steal. This is Sony's best effort to date and manages to break new ground in the digital domain:)

Associated gear
Wilson Sophia speakers
Krell 400xi amp
Harmonic Tech Cables
MIT Oracle AC 2 power cord

Similar products
Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-XA9000ES
Sony SCD-XA777ES
Levinson 39, 390S, 360S
Wadia 851
Krell SACD Standard
MF A5
BAT VK D524bit
ARC CD 3
128x128dave_b
Vacuum Tubes have far more distortion than transistors and are prone to deterioation I am referring to Audio use not medical equipment .
Regardless of the fact Vaccum tubes wear out what they do for Audio is what makes them so good .It was proven many years ago that you can make a solidstate amplifier
look almost perfect from a signwave standpoint when testing -in theory,in reality with no dimentional aspects to it's sonics. Why do you think Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Rogue Audio amd Lamm Audio have done so well ? Because it sounds more realistic and the best gear by many experts in the field believe that vaccum tubes rule ,myself included ,until you have bought a quality vaccumtube amplifier or preamplifier and have use it in a system than you have not had the experience of the magic
of how well Vaccum tubes can add to the realism of the musical event .Try reading Stereophile ,or the Absolute sounds magazine, I have over 30 years as a Audiiophile and have heard very good solidstate as well as Vacuum tube having the combination in the system brings the best of
both worlds ,also Dan Modwrights mods with the Sony 5400
are by the best out there by Far ! Dont knockit untill have have tried it .
After hearding the Terra firma Mod of the Sony xa5400 I Thought it was the best I am glad I waited, while on business I heard Dan Modwrights latest and very extensive transformation of this unit Now with a Vacuum tube OTL analog section as well as a Vacuumtube rectified Seperate power supply Just go to Modwrights webpage and check it out for $2k you now have a player that Nothing and I mean nothing that is in the class A section at $10k that will touch it ,he had a Esoteric 03-se there it was very good ,but the Sony was that much more realistic .I have spent more than a house on audio over the past 25 years and know when something is special sacd may be a little better but now even redbook cds can compete with a Very good turntable and that is saying a lot! My unit has just come back and I am giving it some run in time before giving a formal review ,so far even not runin yet I am not getting much work done for I am hearing nuances in the recording that I did not know that was there and the air around the instruments is much better than I expected I will get back here in a couple of weeks to update on the breakin.
I sent my player to Dan Wright today. For $2000 dollars it is nothing short of a gift what Dan's modification entails. You also get an external power supply!! can;t wait.