Most overrated audio manufacturers?

Thoughts?
lse
"07-15-14: Plasmatech
I would have preferred a more focused question of which manufacturers over-promise and under-deliver, and cite at least two instances of this occuring."

Its an interresting question, but how do you define over-promise and under-deliver? If you're talking about sound quality, for example, its subjective. I don't see how you can define something like that unless you rate things on an individual basis.
That would be a good question, except for the fact that only a tiny percentage of the people here have enough experience with the super high-priced stuff to put forth cogent arguments. It's much more fun to just say why you believe the stuff you can't afford isn't as good as claimed. However, now that I think of it, I had an Esoteric X-05 CD/SACD player that I thought was abysmal. Just flat, no depth and absolutely not analog-sounding as the Stereophile review said it was. I've never heard anything higher up in the line, so I can't say the entire brand is overrated, but that box certainly was, IMO.
Chayro, wouldn't it be great to be there when the reviewers
were listening to the X-05 piece and hear what they were
hearing? Maybe they have no ability to discern SQ? Or, is
lack of synergy and system dependency the overriding factor in
the poor performance of an otherwise quality component that
you heard in your system? The sound quality of mid and high in
components from system to system is mystifying to me.
It could be anything. That's why I don't buy anything anymore without an audition. It's too difficult to put together a system based on reviews or reputation. I bought the X-05 at a great price from a local guy who upgraded to the X-03. It was in mint condition, looked beautiful and I really wanted to love it. Oh well.