Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, Reality is the conjectured state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible.

The quality or state of being actual or true. The totality of all things possessing actuality, existence, or essence. That which exists objectively and in fact.

music is: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity. b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.

Jazz is: American music developed especially from ragtime and blues and characterized by propulsive syncopated rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, varying degrees of improvisation, and often deliberate distortions of pitch and timbre.

Well Rok, there you have it.

Hi O-10 - I must say, that is a very interesting definition of jazz, and I would like to hear what the Frogman thinks of it.  

The definition of music is a very basic and good one, too.  I am constantly telling my private horn students that music is the creation of sound in time - the time aspect being as important as the sound aspect, as it is the time (meter and rhythm) that gives the sound a framework, and makes it make sense to the listener.   

This leads to another point that I think has to do with the subject of your post I was objecting to (and by the way, have you explained what point you were trying to make?  If so, I haven't seen it, though I am not 100% certain I am seeing everything in this new forum format):  

When we are discussing heart, or feeling, in music making - it is very important to remember that although this is obviously an essential, it is not the sole essential thing.  One can have all the heart and soul in the world; however, if one cannot express it, because of whatever deficiencies of technique, or an inability to play in time, or an inability to create the right sound, or play in the appropriate style, to name some examples, then one will not really be a good musician.   It is quite possible to have a huge heart and soul, yet not have any real MUSICAL feeling.  All of us musicians have had students like this, and they are sometimes the most frustrating ones, as they have the passion, but not the ability.  One must be able to create good sounds, in time - these qualities are just as important as the heart and soul in the making of music.   That's where the technique, etc. comes in.  

Of course, the reverse example is also true.  Someone can have incredible technique, and fantastic time, but not be a very expressive player.  There are many professional musicians fitting that description, unfortunately, but there are a great many more students who never do win an orchestral audition or regularly get hired to play in jazz clubs, and they have no idea why, because they know they can play their instrument really well.  In fact, this is perhaps more true today than it has been in the past, since the technical standards for every instrument have now risen so high, especially in classical world, but also in the jazz world as well.  The kids coming out of school today have so much more technique than even 25 years ago - but it has come at the expense of other important aspects of music making in general, like learning to phrase really well, to name one aspect important to all genres.  

OK, I'll shut up for now.  
Rok, I think you need to put the spiked eggnog away now 😜.

[URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9M6cNHO9g[/URL]

O-10, this one's for Mutt:

[URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo8EvrzsUL8[/URL]

And tell him that I'm glad at least someone at the O-cienda has some sense.

Learsfool, that statement you're referring to, was made in jest more or less, but it was in regard to "improvisation". Actually I witnessed shows that were improvised night after night, and I found it unbelievable.

Equally unbelievable are "pit musicians". Beyond the fact that each musician played several different musical instruments, was how they played written music that sounded like improvised jazz; that boggled my mind; and I forgot, this music had to correspond with action going on, in a play on stage.

Could you elaborate on these musicians?

Enjoy the music.