What vintage speaker might you use today

Like to find out what "vintage speakers" members would/might use in their current audio set-up

Do you think what made them special was the synergy between them and the amp used, or just the fact they were well designed and performed way above their price tag.??
sunnyjim
Thanks Larryi - very much appreciate your comments!

Larryi -The best implementation of subwoofers I have heard involved using them at very low levels, setting the crossover point quite low, and using multiple subwoofers (easier to get smoother and uniform bass coverage). I think you are going in the right direction.
That's my direction. Fwiw - I still just can't believe the SPL's - room filling music I am getting out of just the 4 output tubes on the small RM10 and the Quad 57 without sub.  Just looking to fill in the bottom. I have considered a few subs.
The Vandersteen 2wq was one I looked at. But I discovered that the signal needs to go through the Vandersteen crossover first. After the effort it took me to get to where I am with the RM10 / 57's; I am not prepared to let the Vandersteen crossover become the Alpha over the RM10. The Rhymik subs look interesting that Audiogoneer Bdp24 put me on. Then there is also JL audio and Rel. My understanding from another thread here is that REL went to China for manufacturing, and a new company MJ Acoustics is now their former staff in England.

The bigger constraint for me right now is our Canadian dollar against the US dollar. With the latest increase of interest rates in the US yesterday, they are now forecasting the Canadian dollar will fall to .70 cents in 2016. :^(
Buying anything from the US - 30 cents on the dollar, shipping, customs, 13% Canadian tax - ouch.

Two things about that room pic I uploaded - I kind of feel compelled to mention.
That house support pole. I wish there was a way to move it about 3 feet to the left. But once the music starts, it disappears anyway like magic.
The beige love couch on the left. I call it the break up couch. My wife can't stand it. We moved into a place together after about 1 year of dating. We actually broke up for two weeks 6 months after this. She left and took the living room couches. I bought that loveseat and matching couch. When she moved back I refused to sell them. Its something like 30 years old.  
cto517,  no, I'm not interested in spending more time on discussion of my older systems. I wish you well with your attempt to find a suitable sub. If you will allow a few comments in that regard from someone once called a "vintage hater," (LOL; at least I haven't been called that yet, directly!) you are correct about the Vandersteen sub. Avoid it. I had a pair of them and was overall unimpressed, and as you suspect the crossover is a problem. They integrate best with Vandersteen speakers, of course, but I found them unappealing. I didn't own them long because the bass was not terrific. (Now, I supposed I've offended all the Vandersteen lovers even though I owned them. Can't win, can I?)

You should consider JL Audio as well. I own two Legacy Audio XTREME HD subs, and I wrote them up for Dagogo.com, if that will be of assistance to you. I strongly recommend a pair of subs ultimately, as it is a superior experience (considering spacial constraints) to a single sub.

Salectric, if I recall correctly, the pair of Western Electric 757 speakers, which I also heard at RMAF 2011 in the Silbatone room, was obscenely priced. They lacked the terrific cleanness of more modern designs, and the cabinet influence was not good. I had a negative impression of them, and  thought to myself that they were one of the most overpriced to performance speaker systems at the show, in my mind proof that nostalgia sells. They used analogue tape to get them to perform well enough, and yet I still found them to be irritating. It has always stood in my mind as one of the prime examples of why I do not pursue vintage gear. 

An example of a speakers I would own rather than the vintage 757 are the Volti Vittora or Alura, gorgeous speakers in every respect, and if I'm not mistaken much less costly than the vintage Western Electric shown at RMAF 2011. 

If my analysis is considered to be arrogant, it is not my intent. If anyone wishes to see some of the systems I was most impressed by at RMAF 2011 they can find them on my show report at Dagogo.com.  It's obvious that what I consider to be superb sound will not mesh with what everyone else considers superb. 

Again, if  I have come off as being snobbish, my apologies. I will not keep raining on everyone's pool party. Blessings to all.
Post removed 
okeeteekid63 posts12-17-2015 3:25pm

I currently use a pair of Infinity IRS epsilons, I thought of selling them a while back only because they are 20 years old and Infinity no longer has any parts available for them but after listening to many new OVER PRICED speakers I gave up as I didn't want to have to spend upwards of $40,000 to best the sound of the epsilons.
You've certainly made a smart choice stepping up to the later IRS Epsilons. Despite being a bit bass shy, they are very well balanced & were the most refined classic Infinity speaker. Personally I don't have the room for those speakers, but it would have been fun to own a pair of IRS-Sigma's.

As you know, I previously owned a pair or R90's, but sold them and upgraded to Marten Coltrane Alto's, then later bought a pair of Magico S5's. However nothing stands still in high end, so I recently sold my S5's & have a pair of the new S5 Mk2's on the way!

Anyway, I haven't been keeping up with discussions over at Audiokarma. What amps are you driving the Epsilons with now? Drop me a pm if you get a minute.