Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** ???????*****

Since this song has been played by everyone in Jazz at one time or another, it's difficult to do a version that will really stand out.  It was a nice enough Jazz performance, but nothing that will knock Coltrane's version off it's perch.

After Julie Andrews and John Coltrane, what can anyone add?

That's all.

Cheers
****After Julie Andrews and John Coltrane, what can anyone add?****

"Nice enough"?  Well, I guess I need to throw out about half my jazz records.  After all, what can anyone add to Gershwin's operatic version of "Summertime" , or "Scrapple From The Apple" after Bird did it?  Oh yeah, and all my versions of "St. James Infirmary" and keep only Pops'.  And don't you forget to throw out all except one version of Beethoven's 9th.  C'mon man, that is brilliant and highly original piano playing.  First of all, Julie Andrews' version is not jazz, not to mention its a vocal version; apples and oranges.  Coltrane's version, as good as it is, became a "hit" in great part due to the novelty factor.  What Mehldau does with that tune is absolutely astounding and original.   Brilliant player. 
I like Meldau’s version. I like it a lot. His interpretation typifies what jazz is all about; which is finding a new way of playing a tune. I love, love Coltrane’s version. I especially like McCoy Tyner’s piano solo. Once when driving 268 miles to visit my mother, it was the only song I listened to for the entire drive. It is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of my favorite pieces of music.

And then I heard this Brad guy do his thing. I was knocked out. He reached down deep and found other places to go with my beloved tune. I like them both.

Jazz is about finding new ways to express the music. Once, when I was playing a lot, I was hired by our local symphony to put on a jazz concert. I had a big, (at least for me) budget and hired some great players. We rehearsed the afternoon of the gig, had a good performance and went our merry ways.

A couple of days later a friend told me he attended the concert and said it was too bad it was only one night. "I bet you’d like to play that concert again," he said. I was honest and told him no, not really. We already played it and if we did it again we would want to do it differently. My friend didn’t get it.

It’s great fun and sometimes scary beyond words to find new ways to play music. A dear friend and monster jazz guitarist invited me to play with him one night. I was playing hand percussion and invited up to play one tune.

He said, "How about we do a Latin thing? How about Ipanema?"
"No problem," I said.

"Great! Let’s do it in 7."

I thought, "Holy sh*t! Here we go!"

It was very deluxe.

Once, years ago when "Willow Weep for Me" was on my top ten list of favorites, I made a tape of all the versions I had. Maybe 10-12. It was a great tape.

***New Topic Alert***

It’s New Year’s Eve and a lot of people go to the movies. Here’s a short clip depicting a drummer living the life. The real life of a real musician. It’s not very long and for me, really captures one facet of a working musician’s life.

I also like it because I’m a drummer and we always have to sit in the back.

Bob

https://vimeo.com/15273009
Frogman,

Never heard Meldau’s version of "Where Do You Start?"

You killed me with this one. Thank you.

And Shirley Horn... give me a break. Every time I put that album on I start floating. Especially "Estate."

Thank you.

Bob
***** Well, I guess I need to throw out about half my jazz records.*****

Well, maybe not half. 

***** After all, what can anyone add to Gershwin's operatic version of "Summertime" , or "Scrapple From The Apple" after Bird did it?  Oh yeah, and all my versions of "St. James Infirmary" and keep only Pops'.  And don't you forget to throw out all except one version of Beethoven's 9th.  *****

Music can be played / sung by different people with better voices, or a more authentic feel for the music, and perhaps better recording techniques.   You can have several versions for several reasons.  This applies to all your examples.   I have many performances of LvB's 9th, for many reasons.  Either I like the playing or the singers, even the tempo(Bohm/Vienna).  Some I have just for historical reasons, like Furtwangler at Bayreuth.

*****  First of all, Julie Andrews' version is not jazz, not to mention its a vocal version; apples and oranges.  Coltrane's version, as good as it is, became a "hit" in great part due to the novelty factor. *****

I mentioned Andrews to show the breath of performances  available.   From the original musical, to Coltrane.  And those two stand out.   The unwashed made them 'hits'.

No one has ever heard of Brad playing 'Favorite Things'.   Someone says 'My Favorite Things', you think Andrews or Coltrane.

Coltrane's version was named a 'Grammy Hall of Fame recording', according to the You tube folks.   Not bad for a 'novelty' tune.  And let's not forget, Coltrane had Tyner, Jones, and Davis in support.

But, I am nothing, if not fair with a thirst for knowledge, so, I listened to Brad again.   From around 2:08 until around 7:00 is just filler.  Stalling for time, or, trying to be profound.  He picks up 'Favorite Things' again around 7:00.  Hardly 'astounding'. 

***** What Mehldau does with that tune is absolutely astounding and original.   Brilliant player. *****

We are all guilty of Hyperbole from time to time.

Cheers