Best Jazz pianist

Who's the best Jazz pianist, or your favourite.
tmsorosk
Bdp24,
Technical  chops are as you note a different  criteria and just a  portion of  what makes a  musician someone  you  love to hear. Buddy Rich is an excellent  example, supreme virtuoso yet there  are numerous other  drummers I'd rather listen to as when playing with a  group  or jazz combo.

There's that  all important  emotional  connection  factor and certain  players  have that special ability or talent that  goes straight to  one's soul. Hard to describe  but we know it when we hear it. I fully understand  the accolades bestowed  on Tatum from the  many  admiring pianists, perfectly understood. Yet at the end of the day I listen to T. Monk far  more often than I do Art Tatum, despite the extraordinary  chops and all.
Charles,
Understood Charles, and completely agreed with. I find the lyricism in the playing of guitarist Ry Cooder much more musically relevant and satisfying than mere virtuosity. Too many musicians approach the playing of their instrument as if it were sport---the greater the number of notes and speed at which they are played, the "better" the musician. Taste, economy, and style are qualities impossible to quantify, and more appreciated as one gets older.
I like many of those mentioned.  Of the newer generation of pianists, I really like Bill Charlap.
I loved Billy Taylor. He was a great pianist and he contributed greatly to jazz in NYC. He was a gentleman and an educator. I spent my musical formative years going to The Knickerbocker in the village to hear him. It was his home base and he was there most weekends. There was no cover charge and that was about what I could afford. Bradley's was just up the street and there were other clubs within a few blocks. He will always have a special place in my (musical) heart and music collection.