Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Well, I guess I need to throw out about half my jazz records.*****

Well, maybe not half. 

***** After all, what can anyone add to Gershwin's operatic version of "Summertime" , or "Scrapple From The Apple" after Bird did it?  Oh yeah, and all my versions of "St. James Infirmary" and keep only Pops'.  And don't you forget to throw out all except one version of Beethoven's 9th.  *****

Music can be played / sung by different people with better voices, or a more authentic feel for the music, and perhaps better recording techniques.   You can have several versions for several reasons.  This applies to all your examples.   I have many performances of LvB's 9th, for many reasons.  Either I like the playing or the singers, even the tempo(Bohm/Vienna).  Some I have just for historical reasons, like Furtwangler at Bayreuth.

*****  First of all, Julie Andrews' version is not jazz, not to mention its a vocal version; apples and oranges.  Coltrane's version, as good as it is, became a "hit" in great part due to the novelty factor. *****

I mentioned Andrews to show the breath of performances  available.   From the original musical, to Coltrane.  And those two stand out.   The unwashed made them 'hits'.

No one has ever heard of Brad playing 'Favorite Things'.   Someone says 'My Favorite Things', you think Andrews or Coltrane.

Coltrane's version was named a 'Grammy Hall of Fame recording', according to the You tube folks.   Not bad for a 'novelty' tune.  And let's not forget, Coltrane had Tyner, Jones, and Davis in support.

But, I am nothing, if not fair with a thirst for knowledge, so, I listened to Brad again.   From around 2:08 until around 7:00 is just filler.  Stalling for time, or, trying to be profound.  He picks up 'Favorite Things' again around 7:00.  Hardly 'astounding'. 

***** What Mehldau does with that tune is absolutely astounding and original.   Brilliant player. *****

We are all guilty of Hyperbole from time to time.

Cheers

Happy New Year to all!

Rok, I think you missed the sarcasm in my previous post.  It comes down to the first sentence in the last paragraph of that post: "Jazz is different things to different folks".  Since its a new year and a new year is a time for resolutions,  I resolve to be more direct in my postings 😊.  One of the things that I appreciate about what jazz is to you is that you like jazz that is fairly straightforward and stays fairly close to an obvious blues-based structure (as I have pointed out before, most of what you post is twelve-bar blues), uses fairly traditional instruments and and is not very complex compositionally or improvisationally.  Jazz is much more than that.

"Hyperbole"?  No way.  From a technical standpoint alone what Mehldau does is pretty astounding.  "Filler"?  From an artistic standpoint, what you consider filler is development.  Again, no way; IF one gets beyond the "unwashed" mentality (and limitations).  After all, what does the fact that the unwashed happen to know Julie Andrews and ONE Colrane performance prove?  I hope you are not suggesting that because Coltrane's "MFT" is recognized by a few, that in the scheme of Coltrane's overall contribution, that it is more important than, say, "Giant Steps".  It isn't.  

As I said, different things to different folks; and tastes do mature.  Just remember, and in keeping with my New Year's resolution, the first time I posted something by the great Phil Woods, the only thing that you could say about him was "he has a big stomach" 😉. 

*****  I think you missed the sarcasm in my previous post.*****

No I did not.  I knew you would not seriously consider getting rid of half  of your Spike Jones Elcassettes.

*****  It comes down to the first sentence in the last paragraph of that post: "Jazz is different things to different folks". *****

I posted an article several days ago that was blocked by Audiogon.  Copyright issue.   It was from an early interview by Wynton.  He was accused of distancing himself from the word 'Jazz'. He agreed, saying, because now days,  "Jazz is anything, Jazz is everything.  If they think it will help sell it, they call it Jazz.

Some of the non-Jazz folks he called by name, Quincy, Miles and Sanborn.   He did allow that Miles USED to play Jazz.

So your statement is true, but not valid.   If that makes any sense.

Cheers

*****  I hope you are not suggesting that because Coltrane's "MFT" is recognized by a few, that in the scheme of Coltrane's overall contribution, that it is more important than, say, "Giant Steps".******

This entire discussion revolves around the performance of one tune. MFT.   That's all.  Recognized by a few"??   From Hyperbole to Understatement.

***** After all, what does the fact that the unwashed happen to know Julie Andrews and ONE Colrane performance prove?*****

It proves that those two struck a chord with the public.   Think of what a unique thing that is.  To be able to reach millions of people.   Complete strangers.   Most players would kill for that ability.

***** the great Phil Woods, the only thing that you could say about him was "he has a big stomach"  *****

Well, I didn't lie. :)

Cheers