Pass Labs XP-10 & XP20 Users

I recently got a XP-10 preamp. It provides tremendous clarity, a deep and wide soundstage, nice seperation of instruments, lower bass, better defined bass, and a touch of warmth (which is a plus in my system).

It has been in the system for a couple days now, and I am thrilled with the results. This thing is so resolving (without being harsh), that my friends and I could hear differences in the sound depending on how we spiked and isolated the XP-10. A sand bag on top also changed the sound. I will pick a final setup once it finishes breaking in this weekend.

I am using this in a 5.1/2.0 system. The Bypass function is setup on input 5 which is an unbalanced input. My Prepro has both Balanced and Unbalanced outputs. In theory the balanced outputs coming out of the prepro should sound better, so I have it routed through Input 1 and manually set the volume to max and Gain to 0.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks about these preamps? They seem pretty straight forward. It seems the only setup/optimization may be related to spikes, isolation, and weight placed on top of the unit.
dmccombs
I am on my 3rd Pass preamp. About 13-15 yrs ago I had an Aleph P. I heard some things that I liked in that revamp, but I ultimately sold it after about 2 yrs. the preamp just was not very lovely/dynamic.

FAST FORWARD- it's 2015, and I've been happily using an INT-150 for a number of yrs. 

decided I'll go back to separate. Initially purchase an XP10, nice preamp. I have that about 2 months, decide to compare it to an XP20. Bye bye XP10. What does the XP20 do better? Micro-dynamics which is probably because as low distortions the XP10 is, it just sounds to me the folks at Pass Labs figured out how to reduce what little distortions there was to nothingness. 

Soundstage is is improved as well. I won't say that the extra $ is a no brainier- depends if you can swing it. The XP10 is great, the XP20 is the best preamp I have ever owned (that title previously belonged to a CJ 17LS2). 

Powering all all my Pass gear are Cullen Crossover power cords. 
Nice to see this tread alive and well.  I just upgraded to an ARC Ref 5 SE.  Pretty amazing pre, but I don't like the 40 second delay, mute and zero volume.  I understand why, but after the delay, couldn't they at least unmute the thing and maybe set the volume to "1" if not the setting it back to the last setting?  Sorry for the vent, but because of this, I am thinking about going back to SS.  

I have a pair of Pass Labs XA-100.5 mono blocks.  I am sure the XP20 pre would match up extremely well.  My question, has anyone compared the XP20 with the ARC Ref 5 SE?  

I do like that the ARC has a 12V remote, so when I turn it on, the amps come on.  Since the XP20 is designed to stay on (similar to my Ayre K5 Xe mp) it won't have the 12v remote switch.

Thanks
Ben,

This from the XP-20 manual
The XP-20 gain chassis has a single pair of binding posts labeled “Ext. Amp Turn-on”. A 12-volt signal is available at these binding posts to control additional entertainment electronics. This External Turn On feature was specifically intended to control Pass Laboratories power amplifiers but may in fact control competitive product with similar features. Check your power amplifiers owner manual and specifications for particulars. This function is only active from the hand held remote control.