Which connection: RCA, XLR, COAX, OPTICAL?

Hi again good people on Audiogon, I have little experience with this, so would you be so kind to give me some advice? I did read about it around the web, but opinions are somewhat contradicting and confusing, at least to me. I’m in a process of changing most of my system. I have no possibilities to try-out different cables.

I need to decide how to connect a CD player and a Blu-ray player to integrated amp (with built-in DAC) and to head-amp (with built-in DAC).
I expect (probably) to have these options:

- amplifier (with DAC) inputs: 1 XLR, 2 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- head-amp (with DAC) inputs: 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- CD player outputs: 1 XLR, 1 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- Blu-ray player outputs: 1 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink.

All cables will be between 0.4 and 1 meter, always as short as possible.
Regarding the quality of DACs in these 4 devices, it’s much more probable that DACs in amplifiers will be better than DAC in CD player, but let’s also consider the opposite case too, where the DAC from CD player is of equal or better quality. (DAC of Blu-ray player will be of lower quality for sure.)

Which type of connection would you recommend for each one of these 4 connections (CD-amp, CD-headamp, BLU-amp, BLU-headamp)?
Would your recommendations differ for CD player, based on the quality of its internal DAC, its inferiority or superiority to the amp’s built-in DAC?

THANK YOU SO MUCH :)
audiosonicsound
almarg, you seem really knowledgeable about this, so just one more question, please.

To get audio signal from computer to amplifier across the legth of 6 meters / 20 feet - what would be the best connection?

You can see above the inputs on that Gato Audio amplifier. My computer has USB and optical toslink outputs. It doesn't have coaxial, but if by any chance coaxial would be better than USB or optical, I could change the soundboard to have coaxial output compatible with that coaxial input of Gato amp.
* I meant SOUND CARD, not "soundboard"

Also, I didn't mention analog RCA because I tought it won't be a good choice for 6 meters length, but it may still be ok? For computer, audiophile quality is not so much important, because CD player is my primary source for listening.
For computer, audiophile quality is not so much important, because CD player is my primary source for listening.
Good!  Because implementing a 20 foot or 6 meter computer-to-DAC connection with high quality results is likely to be problematical and/or expensive.

Yes, it's possible that analog RCA connections could work well enough for your purposes.  But I'd have some concern about the possibility of ground loop issues (which can be sensitive to cable length), and I'd also have some concern that the (often unspecified) output impedance of the sound card may be too high to drive the capacitance of the cables without significant rolloff of the upper treble and dulling of transients.  Using a very low capacitance cable, such as inexpensive BlueJeans LC-1, would minimize that possibility.

Regarding USB, both the USB 2.0 standard and the manual for the DIA-250 specify 5 meters max for a USB connection, and I suspect that lengths that are even somewhat shorter than that may tend to result in significant sonic compromises.  And I'd be skeptical of USB hubs or repeaters that I believe are sometimes used to extend those lengths for non-audio purposes.

Given a choice between a 20 foot digital coaxial cable and a 20 foot optical cable, I suspect that more often than not the coaxial cable would be the better choice, although in some cases noise caused by ground loop issues (to which an optical cable would be immune) could tip the balance the other way.

Also, there are some ethernet-to-S/PDIF converters on the market, and I suspect that some of them would provide better results than any of those other choices (with an ethernet cable covering most of the distance, and a S/PDIF cable covering just a short distance from the converter to the DAC).  But while I'm not particularly knowledgeable about such devices, I suspect that good ones will tend to be fairly expensive, and they might necessitate using playback software that you wouldn't otherwise prefer.

Regards,
-- Al