Jadis JA30 Mk2, how great???

The new Jadis JA30 Mk2 is now on my radar. Does anyone here have any experience with this amp...thoughts?

Would seem to be in the sweet spot of the Jadis line.
128x128daveyf

I also have an older JA30 driving Living Voice OBX-RW speakers rated at 94DB which may be an optimistic rating. Never the less these monoblocks are very special and a tube rollers paradise or nightmare depending on your budget. This combination of speaker/amp. interface is musically fascinating. I have not rolled many tubes just yet but have listened to Ei KT90 NOS, Psvane KT88mkll, and have settled so far on 6l6GC Winged C NOS......using telefunken input/drivers and or Raytheon NOS. I cannot help with the new mkll version but I am sure it is killer good with correct matching of the speakers. You may see them under system moniker GWALT.

Hi GWALT, thanks for the input on your JA30! You have some really nice equipment and a great-looking room…….appears to be quite a large space as well, does the Jadis have any issues energizing it? Also, I didn’t see what those red power cords are in your system details? Could you also share what type of music you listen to?

My situation is a bit different; smallish medium size room, driving 87db electrostat hybrids (Janszen) currently with a Rowland amp. Some folks have reported finding bliss with these speakers and lower powered tube amps, and I was quite impressed with the Jadis I50 integrated amp equipped with KT150 tubes at the most recent Newport show. Just trying to get some idea as to whether the JA30 MK II with KT150’s would be sufficient in my room, though will likely not be able to audition these mono amps in the USA unless one of the few dealers imports one which, as far as I know, has not happened (yet). As you indicated, correct matching of speakers & amp is critical.
Hi Butler, my amps are probably from the early 90's and I use Ei 6CA7 power tubes (similar to EL34 but with better bass they say). I have tried 6550, KT90 and KT88 as well but I like the ones I use now. Besides, big tubes doesn't really fit. It's very tight between the tube sockets and the transformers. Jadis must have changed the layout of the amps a bit to be able to use KT150 tubes.

I have tried many different speakers and no matter what speakers I use some factors are the same. I have NOT tried speakers with very high sensitivity, that remains to try some day. Only from 84-89 db which can be very challenging for these tube amps I admit! I listen mostly to jazz and rock (blues based rock too) in a small apartment living room. There's no question about it that these amps are much better with smaller settings, 3-6 piece jazz groups, singer songwriters, soul vocalists, small ensemble classical music and well recorded rock, blues and country bands and albums preferably released before the "loudness war" era, if that makes sense? (Some modern records sounds really awful no matter what amps you use.) These amps are great and can sound really magical, the sound gets very very emotional and real if the parameters are right, trumpets, guitars, vocals etc. That's what Jadis is about I think.

The amps have worked very good with most speakers I've tried but the higher sensitivity and easy load the better, vintage speakers are great for instance. If you hear about speakers that are hard to drive they probably aren't a good match for these Jadis amps. Right now I'm using old small Tannoy Eaton's, it works lovely. I don't know if they work with electrostats. Are yours active in the bass? The bass is good on the Jadis JA30's if the music isn't too complex and if the speakers are not too "slow" in the bass from the beginning, but of course the amps can't be compared with high power solid state amps, it's just not possible and not really fare. The KT150 tubes are probably making the bass a lot better though, I'd love to hear that some day. If you are worried about if these amps are enough you might be better off with the Jadis JA80 power amps, the regular old version can probably be found much cheaper than new JA30 mkII's. I would look for those personally if I where you and worried about the power reserves, but I can't know for sure of course.

My amps have been working pretty much flawless so far during the years I've had them. And I love the looks, the feel, the sound, pride of ownership etc etc. Very cool amps. I also own an integrated Jadis Orchestra amp and it is lovely as well, I like the brand very much, definitely floats my musical boat. :-)
Appreciate your response to the questions I threw at you Egoben, very descriptive! I do think to an extent it might be an apples to oranges comparison as the newer Jadis has likely moved to a bit more universal sound & possibly improved drive capabilities at least where the KT150 equipped amps are concerned, but also may have given up some of that magic you described in the process. But we shall see, that magic is what I am looking for too. Wish there were more dealers here in the states, with a full arsenal of the different models to be able to make comparisons.

Your advice to consider a used JA80 is a good one, and something I will consider moving forward, even though I’m anxious to see what the KT150-based amps would bring to my setup as well. I’ll be in S. California in March where I will get to the Jadis dealer there, Brooks Berdan Ltd - hopefully they will have a few KT150 as well as some of the legacy amps in-house for a nice audition. If you or the others in this thread expressing interest (or anyone else for that matter) is interested I will report back here. Thanks again for all the input.

Butler:

My amp. was made in 2005 and the largest tube it will accept is the KT120 which I have not tried yet but I plan to. Generally so far the 6L6GC Winged C is my favorite. My Border Patrol 300B is one of best but the 8 WPC is wasting the capability of the Living Voice thus my purchase of the musical 30 WPC.

I purchased the amp. from a gentleman who used 86DB speakers in a large room with KT88's. He said the amp. would clip with high volume Dead Can Dance drive but that was it. He said he wished he had not sold it FYI.

If you use the new amp. with KT150's you would be fine IMO unless you play for the neighborhood. I have heard that the JA80 does not make the music magic of the JA30's simpler design. More tubes in parallel and this happens. The JA30 could be the music sweet spot of the group.

I suspect the new amp. has a reworked transformer tapped for a high voltage set. No idea what they sound like with that tube but the sound could be to die for. These amps. are overbuilt to last longer than us and could be family tokens.

PS: The RED cords are ELROD GOLD STATEMENTS which sound smitten on anything.

Hope this has some type of meaning. Thanks