Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Fact certain, you can listen to music composed by living classical composers 24/7 and I believe same goes for Jazz.

I listen to classical 6-7 hours a day every day and for the last 4-5 years about 1/3 of the time I make it a rule to hear composers still breathing .
Of course classical has Naxos ,all you have to do is look at  their offerings
 and  choose anybody you never heard of , Naxos only sells good music.
The founder,Klaus Heymann, deserves every Medal, gold or otherwise there is .

Rok, as usual, you miss the point. You can’t understand just how much agreement there is between Wynton’s "diatribe" and my own; you seem to see only what you want to see. Wynton, in fact, corroborates much of what am saying; I know nuance is difficult. Lastly, don’t forget that Wynton has made an empire from the "preservation of the art"; self interests and all.  

And here is another big part of the problem.  Had someone played this for you and not told you who was playing, I would bet you would relegate them to noise-maker status.  But, this is one of Wynton's heroes as he admits in his diatribe.  How do you feel about the music with this knowledge in mind?  Surprise me.

[URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7aFKG2c6RIY[/URL]