Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****Rok asked the question: "I don’t understand why you guys think that jazz always has to change". Again, ironic. Ironic that someone who leans so much on the "history" of the music doesn’t see the obvious: Jazz has been evolving since its birth and it will continue to do so whether we like it or not******

The important  words here are "Always Has To Change".  Natural progression / evolution is one thing, that it MUST or HAS TO change is something else.   That is not what has happened.   What has happened is, the Music has been changed/distorted/redefined to the point  that Anyone and Everyone can now play "Jazz".   And although the Great unwashed decide, they can only choose from the people the critics and power brokers put forward.
*****  but, to be blunt, a listener that is not even aware (there’s that intellectual thing again) that the overwhelming majority of music that he refers to or posts as examples is simply twelve bar blues has no basis for making grandiose comments about the superiority of one era over another. ******

"SIMPLY Twelve Bar Blues!!!   Surely you jest.  What do you think Jazz is.  Is there no place in your Jazz for 12 bar blues?  Your school house training is showing.  It's gotta be complex? Incomprehensible?  

I have every right to make any comment, 'grandiose' or otherwise about what I like.  BTW, I only post what I own, or put another way, I only post what I spend my real money for.
No Blues, No Jazz
Know Blues, Know Jazz

***** Personally, I think that this thread would be far more interesting and positive if there was more openmindedness and more willingness to explore ways to assess skill level. *****

You are going to be known as the Grinch that took all the fun out of Jazz.   Skill level can only be discussed in a serious manner by some Jazz players or a Jazz instructor.   That would be The Frogman.
We are not at Julie-Art, we are in the club / barber shop. :)

I'm wore out.  Later

Cheers
***** And that's when I discovered what that noise in the background was; what's Frogman trying to do to us?*****

I think he got his hands on the CIA's playlist from Gitmo.

We could say that Roach's drumming was Jazz drumming in search of a Jazz tune.

Cheers
Rok, you crack me up.  As usual, you see (read) what you want to see and interpret it the way you want to interpret it.  I know full well that you will always want the last word; some things will never change.  No problem and no hard feelings.  Now, wait for it.....this is actually a compliment now.... I believe you will get it one day.  Right now, you don't.  As far as taking the fun out of it goes, let's see.... who is really taking the fun out of it (and this is the only "premise" that this is all about)?  The person who says: "There's great music happening as we speak (write)?" Or, the person who says: "The only good music was made by dead people?"
It's hard to follow all the nonsense but as far as I can see the root cause of the differences being expressed are in fundamental value systems set in concrete before the brain was fully developed.
To whit, frogman attended an institution of higher-learning where  intellection
 was/is highly valued , rok one where it was not .