Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Chazro, I am humbled.  Beautifully concise, to the point and timely. Thank you for that.
MLK's comments were made to say that Jazz serves the same purpose for urban black folks as the Blues did for Blacks in the rural South.

What did he mean by 'modern Jazz'?   MLK died in 1968.   Just to name a few of the many guys playing then, would include:
Miles,Monk,Coltrane,Rollins,Mingus,Hubbard,Morgan,Cannonball, Basie, Ellington and too many more to mention.

Now the question is, was he speaking of folks like these, or the grads of Julie-art.   Think people, Think.    

@jafant ,  Me too.

Cheers
Miles Davis, Juilliard graduate.

Freddie Hubbard, studied at the Arthur Jordan Conservatory of Music (now the Jordan College of the Arts at Butler University) with Max Woodbury, the principal trumpeter of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.

John Coltrane, studied music at the Granoff Studios as well as the Ornstein School of Music.

Cannonball Adderly, grad in music, Florida A&M University. Held position of band director at Dillard HS. Afterwards moved to NY originally to seek graduate studies at NYC music conservatories.

Sonny Rollins, "So then I had a saxophone teacher, and went to little music schools and stuff like that, not private teachers. But I never had sort of the formal education that my older brother and sister had, so I always felt inferior to them."- SR

Charles Mingus, studied with Herman Reinshagen, principal bassist of the New York Philharmonic, and compositional techniques with Lloyd Reese.

Just a few of the ones you mentioned.  Think, Rok, think! 🙃
Lord my Burden is Great.

The question was, who was MLK referring to when he used the term 'modern Jazz'.  He was referring to all the guys you just listed.   So Miles attended Julie-art.  So what.   So the others went to a music school.   So what.

When I say , the Julie-art people, you know who I mean.  And it's not the people you just named.   I mean the people who are destroying Jazz.

Nice try

Cheers