Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, my musical palette is not locked in the past, "Charenee Wade" is my most recent acquisition; the subject matter of her music is "singing of a more complicated urban existence"; no, this is not "rapping" about an urban existence, this is singing top notch jazz with some of the best "new" jazz musicians I've heard.

This music was inspired by Gil Scott Heron; most people only remember "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", he was a very young naive man when he put that out, now he's much older and see's the real complications of the urban existence. But beyond that, this is beautiful thoughtful music that can be listened to many times.

The urban existence is infinitely more complex than it was when Gil came to prominence in the 60's, but Charenee sings of hope that was inspired by Gil Scott Heron in his most recent life. The music provided that accompanies her is every bit as beautiful as Charenee Wade's voice. I've posted this more than once, why have you failed to acknowledge it Frogman?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JabrQh5vql4[/url]

Enjoy the music.

Jimmy Greene - Beautiful Life - A modern day Jazz masterpiece.  Inspired by the life of his 6 yr old daughter who was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.  Released at the end of 2014, it's up for Best Jazz Record in this years Grammy's.  I would strongly urge any lover of music in general, not just Jazz fans, to pick this up, it's simply stunning.  Recorded at the Chesky Studios by David Chesky, while not released under the Chesky label, it's probably the greatest 'Chesky' Jazz record of all time!  A very, very fine recording.

Gottasay, it's hard to take any claims of 'no new Jazz records being made' seriously when there's music of this caliber being created.  Only time will tell but IMO this is a classic for the ages!

https://youtu.be/JmrexEYPTkg

I am not in the "what is, and what is not jazz" camp. This music falls into the category of "smooth jazz".

This is "In The Full Moonlight" and it's free exuberance sets me free to cavort "In the full moonlight".

[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCD5ipQA63U[/url]

This is from their latest release "Global Force"

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivBEcqig3Bg[/url]

Enjoy the music.
Chazro, that was going to be one of my recs to Jafant eventhough it's a couple of years old, but I wanted the dust to settle.  Thanks for bringing it up.  Beautiful and very poignant recording with a great lineup that includes Kurt Elling, another great current artist.
****I've posted this more than once, why have you failed to acknowledge it Frogman?****

Hmmm, let's see...... Busy with work? Maybe lots of other posts came in around the same time and yours fell through the cracks? Maybe I was busy arguing with Rok? Maybe you posted around the time that my dog (Artie) ate my IPad's charger? Or......

O-10, I didn't think that anyone would be taken to task for not acknowledgimg a post.  With that in mind, should I point out how many of my posts you never acknowledged? Would be kinda silly and petty, no? BTW, one of those was clips of Carmen Lundy.  If you like Charenee Wade I suspect you'll like Lundy; she writes her own material too. Finally, winter weather in NY!  About time.