Best budget DAC

Hi all,

I'm considering a DAC for my system and I have to keep the expenditure very reasonable (under $300).

DACS considered: Audioengine D1, Audioquest Dragonfly, Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS & Azur DacMagic 100, Musical Fidelity - V90-DAC,  Schiit Modi,

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have actually heard or compared the DACs above, or others.

Also, if I do get a DAC, is there any advantage to ripping a CD and then playing the FLAC/WAV file through the DAC? Keep in mind that the DAC chip in my CD Player is listed as a "24/192 Cirrus Logic Delta/Sigma", but no specific chip number.

I haven't seen any comparisons of CD's to ripping and playing the file through an outboard DAC, so if you have seen such a comparison, your link to it would be greatly appreciated.

These are the components in my system:
Speakers - Elac B6
Subwoofer - Elac S10
CD Player - NAD C 516BEE CD Player
Preamplifier - Parasound Halo P5
Power Amplifier - Rotel RB-1080

Thanks. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

128x128edincleve

I have had nice performance from a Chord Qute with an upgraded power supply.

Another great option is the Concero from Resonessence Labs.

Thanks for all your responses. You've given me more DACs to consider,  and I will try to hear them before making a decision.

No one has responded to my other question about comparing the sound of a CD through a CD Player vs that same CD ripped and the file played through an separate DAC.

Maybe I should have posted this question by itself

If you have any experience with CD Players vs DACs please let me know.

Thanks again.
Playing redbook CD rips as FLAC, WAV of AIFF file can sound as good as the CD via a player, many think better. It depends on type of player vs. computer playback system and DAC.