Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
****I've posted this more than once, why have you failed to acknowledge it Frogman?****

Hmmm, let's see...... Busy with work? Maybe lots of other posts came in around the same time and yours fell through the cracks? Maybe I was busy arguing with Rok? Maybe you posted around the time that my dog (Artie) ate my IPad's charger? Or......

O-10, I didn't think that anyone would be taken to task for not acknowledgimg a post.  With that in mind, should I point out how many of my posts you never acknowledged? Would be kinda silly and petty, no? BTW, one of those was clips of Carmen Lundy.  If you like Charenee Wade I suspect you'll like Lundy; she writes her own material too. Finally, winter weather in NY!  About time.
Ohnwy61, I used to ask myself that question.  For me it's really a lot less about Rok than it might seem to be.  I find that there are a lot of mistaken ideas about musicians, their culture and their craft.  It's an opportunity to bring a different perspective to issues that come up.  From my vantage point, the better we understand musicians the better we can understand, and hopefully appreciate and enjoy their music 💡

Rok, don't waste your time writing a good long post; it doesn't matter what we come up with, they're going to shoot it down.

My last two posts were of good, current jazz CD's that I had purchased and reviewed; they simply overlooked them and kept on harping about us not posting current music.

This is a coalition of the negatives; I call it "Attack of The Negatrons".

Spend your valuable time listening to the good new music we have acquired this year, and now that we have so many of their photographs in Nica's book, we can enjoy their music even more. Have a "Happy New Year" and don't forget "Enjoy the music".
@orpheus10 

"attack of the Negatrons" --   BRILLIANT!!!   I wish I had said that!

The root of the problem?
The phrase "Irreconcilable Differences" comes to mind.  I had already decided to throw in the towel.  I too, am tired of the negative.   This thread is getting to be a little too 'audiophile' in character for me.

I was sitting here, trying to 'see the light', as I listened to some of their clips on the computer speakers, then I noticed one of the CD players in my rig was playing, so I turned the volume up, and there was Billie singing "Fine and Mellow" (Sound of Jazz).    I just laughed out loud, for real.  I asked myself, can this 'new' music even be of the same genre?  No way!!

WTF was I thinking?   To each his own.   Am I living in the past?   Of course I am.   All Southerners are.   Down here,  past is not only prologue, it's  present.

Cheers

It boggles the mind how it’s possible for some people to create a reality so detached from what is. Here is what is:

The negativity has consistently come from Rock; and you, O-10. The rub has been (and I can’t believe I have to say this again) the negativity about new jazz and new music in general on the part of Rok. This has been evident from the start of this thread. There has not been a single negative comment on the part of one of the regular posters who like modern jazz about classic jazz in general; nor comment about the superiority of modern jazz and only comments about making room for both. It has consistently been the insistence that classic jazz is "superior", modern jazz is often played by "noise makers" "equating numbers to soul" (whatever the hell that means), "good new music is so rare", "if you want to listen to jazz or classical be prepared to listen to music by dead people", and on and on that has caused the rub. O-10, you do have very ecclectic tastes in music and I respect that, but you have been complicit in the negativity because whenever there is disagreement or conflict you and Rok run to each other for support and form your two man click no matter what conflict there may have been between the two of you originally. Sorry, but some things need to be said. Now, it is true that I have been negative about certain specific examples of music (very few really) that you have posted. I have been very specific about my reasons and they have always had to do with the execution of the music and never blanket criticism of the genre. Of course, you guys don’t seem interested in understanding more about this issue.  Rok and you are, of course, free to be highly critical of others' posts; but, that's OK.  Right? All this leads me to a comment about your most recent music postings; and those postings are so fitting for my previous comments:

Ok, O-10 seem upset that those clips were ignored. Speaking for myself, the reason is simple, I didn’t want to open yet another can of worms. But if you insist: I will admit that "Smooth Jazz" is not my favorite genre, but I have room for it generally and some of it can be a heck of a lot of fun. But, I find those two examples to not be very good examples of the genre. As much grief as smooth jazz gets from some, the fact is that some smooth jazz artists are terrific musicians and in most ways stick to the spirit of jazz in having a strong sense of spontaneity, improvisation and instrumental ability; not those guys, sorry. I find those two examples to be extremely formulaic and the music sounds as if they stick strictly to a written out or pre-determined template. I would bet you that if you heard them play those tunes live they would sound EXACTLY the same as they do on those clips; not the case with some other musicians in the genre.

Here’s to more mature interaction going forward 🍷