Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I am sincerely disappointed that after all this time I feel reduced to having to ask the question "what the hell is wrong with you?". You want to continue to insist on using some sort of hierarchy of merit dictated by you and your own agenda (and there is clearly a personal agenda at work here), that’s fine go ahead. But, listen closely now...NOT EVERYONE THINKS ABOUT MUSIC AND ITS RELATIVE MERITS THAT WAY. The problem is not whether you, Wynton or anyone else think that this or that player is "better", it is your blanket denigration of any music made after your own personal music time-comfort zone.  

Do do you even know why Armstrong was as great as he was, can you even articulate it? And do you have any idea how ridiculous he, in spite of his greatness DURING HIS TIME, would sound playing the type of music that Hubbard played? Even more ridiculous playing the music that someone like Brecker plays? THATS THE POINT. The music changes and moves forward, it will because it has to; something that you are apparently incapable of. To not understand this is to not understand one of the most important elements of music and any art.  I had hoped that you were a more insightful music lover than you are showing yourself to be.  That is why I bothered.

Cal Tjader is one of my favorite musicians from a long time back, that I have overlooked. He was known as the most successful non latin, latin musician; that's because he explored so many other idioms, but never abandoned the music of Cuba,

Although he primarily played the vibraphone he was accomplished on the drums, bongos and piano. He won a "Grammy" in 1980 for his album "La Onda Va Bien"va bien, capping off a career that spanned over forty years.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVdzzMgco0&list=PL5br3wjmUMVVzXpuBfvkC7nMDjxGTrI3I[/url]

That was his version of "Speak Low", it is one beautiful tune.

I've followed his music through the years, and never got bored or tired of his sound. Tjader worked with Donald Byrd, Lalo Schifrin, Anita O'Day, Willie Bobo, Armando Peraza, a young Chick Corea, Clare Fischer, Jimmy Heath, Kenny Burrell, and others. Tjader recorded with big band orchestras for the first time, and even made an album based on Asian scales and rhythms. His biggest success was "Soul Sauce".

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSNqhEWH9M[/url]

Here is the album I wore out; it's laid back and hip at the same time; with Cal and Charlie Byrd, what else could it be?

Sharing my music with you, is like having you over for a listening session.

Enjoy the music.

I left off the link for "Tambu" by Cal Tjader and Charlie Byrd; it was the LP I wore out. Since I have to write another post to correct the last one, I might as well include more Cal Tjader "Tambu"

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNP6q-_nxw[/url]

This is "Cubano Chant"

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyjWVtFVifU[/url]

Enjoy the music.

@orpheus10 

I have the 'Soul Sauce' CD.  Your clips sounded a lot better than I remember my CD sounding.  I always felt as if something was missing from this music, which is supposed to 'Latin Jazz'.   Sounded sort of watered down, compared to other Latino Jazz players.  

Now I find out, there are no Latinos in the band.  I always assumed Tjader was Latino.  Now it turns out he's Swedish.   And your home boy at that.

Same with Charlie Byrd, bought some of his stuff back in the day.  Being an LP of music from Brazil, I expected fireworks.  Maybe I watch too many movies.   I think I need to revisit them both.

The clips were enjoyable.  However no one can get the sound that Milt got playing  vibes. :)  I can't help it man, I'm stuck in the past, waiting on a light bulb to go off.    You think maybe the bulb is burned out? :)

Thanks for sharing

Cheers
@frogman,

Well, no one can say, I didn't try.

Cheers

BTW, if you have a few minutes of free time, maybe you could tell us all, why Armstrong was great.   I am sure you can 'articulate' it better than the millions of his fans around the world.   Maybe the most well known Jazz player of all time.   And to think, none of the millions of his adoring fans have a clue, as to why they like him.

Cheers