Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, THAT was a constructive comment, O-10!  Does that mean that you don't want to have discussions?  Apparently not.  If I am mistaken, tell me what about my previous post is not true.  Love Art Farmer, btw.  And what, pray tell, would cause you to even consider that I might think that music is too hip or too old considering that at least half of what I have posted here is in that very genre? You do get it right sometimes 😊.   Very nice clips!
Nice post, Chazro.  Will check out the clips and get back later.  It's 1-2, 1-2-3 for me tonight.  Thanks for the words re clave.

For some reason Judy Garland reminds me of when St. Louis was really a grand city; that's when we had street-cars, and large 3 story red brick homes on boulevards with grassy areas in the middle that looked like small parks. I spent weekends with a cousin who lived in one of those grand homes. Even today, I never miss "The Wizard od Oz".

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmx1L8G25q4[/url]

Enjoy the music.

Thanks Frogman , the day of resolution by the dominant ninth seems to have passed. RIP
Indeed!  And very nice allegory, btw.  Brought to mind Plato's "Allegory of the Cave".  Regards