Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks Frogman , the day of resolution by the dominant ninth seems to have passed. RIP
Indeed!  And very nice allegory, btw.  Brought to mind Plato's "Allegory of the Cave".  Regards

Rok, under the topic of music, there are 3 threads that don't even discuss music. I really don't know what they're discussing; I'll give you the titles and you can discern it for yourself.

1. When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

2. Why do people who are into rap and hip-hop even want a high-end audio system

3. Should we use ridiculously priced cables to listen to Rap?

These three threads are under the topic of music. Is number 1 a philosophical question, or what?

Number 2; why don't they take a hip-hop rap survey?

Number 3; I wouldn't use ridiculously priced cables to listen to anything.

I consider these three threads as an indication to how bad current music sucks.

Ok, O-10 seem upset that those clips were ignored. Speaking for myself, the reason is simple, I didn’t want to open yet another can of worms. But if you insist: I will admit that "Smooth Jazz" is not my favorite genre, but I have room for it generally and some of it can be a heck of a lot of fun. But, I find those two examples to not be very good examples of the genre. As much grief as smooth jazz gets from some, the fact is that some smooth jazz artists are terrific musicians and in most ways stick to the spirit of jazz in having a strong sense of spontaneity, improvisation and instrumental ability; not those guys, sorry. I find those two examples to be extremely formulaic and the music sounds as if they stick strictly to a written out or pre-determined template. I would bet you that if you heard them play those tunes live they would sound EXACTLY the same as they do on those clips; not the case with some other musicians in the genre.

When I found good "old jazz", Frogman knocked it. When I found "new jazz", Frogman knocked it, but he doesn't have a problem with those three threads.

What do you think is the solution Rok; I'm totally lost.

O-10, as much as I hate saying things like this, I think that what is really going on here is that you are a bitter and angry person, unnecessarily fueling the flames of our little soap opera; as demonstrated by your last post. Here you go again running to Rok for support on a position that has no merit and that will only serve to be controversial and divisive; not to mention misrepresentative of what has been going on.

I praised your most recent "old jazz" contributions (Farmer) and here you are making blanket statements about my "knocking" your "old jazz" contributions. I make a recommendation to you of a new artist (Lundy) that you might like who is reminiscent of a new artist that you posted, and here you are claiming that I "knocked" your new artist posts. All this, as if there were something wrong with not liking EVERYTHING that you post; especially when I have been very specific as to why I didn’t like certain ones and, incredibly!, as in the case of your "new jazz" example, you later went on to agree with me. It boggles the mind. Worst of all, to somehow suggest that the fact that I have not participated in other threads (!!!) that you have deemed indicative of some "problem" with new music is an example of some sort of inconsistency on my part is absurd. And top of it all, instead of having the courtesy and cojones of addressing me directly about it, you run to your cohort for support. If all this weren’t so pathetically sophomoric and plain stupid there would be no recourse but to call you an a&&. How pathetic.

Obviously, you are not interested in turning a new leaf or, as I have plainly suggested, "having more mature interaction going forward"; too bad.

BTW, if you had bothered to take off your blinders to read what was posted in those "other" threads you would have found that there was overwhelming criticism of the OP’s premise, and in the case of #3 (by our own Acman3) it was a parody of #’s 1&2.

Your last post was either the ultimate troll or an example of a desperate attempt to find validation by someone who apparently feels very little of it.  That you are "totally lost" is obvious; I suggest you look for a solution somewhere other than where you are looking.

Once more, here’s to more mature interaction going forward 🍷

Chazro, the Maraca clip is fabulous!  I can't thank you enough for that.  Love how the chamber orchestra weaves in and out of the Jazz and vise versa.  Fantastic instrumentalists and improvisers.  I have a lot more to say about it and your other clips, but sadly used up my time embroiled in the bullshit.  As an aside, and along the lines of the often talked about miracle of how Cubans keep all those old cars running, it is miraculous how great those musicians sound on what are, in many cases, second rate instruments at best.  Scary to think what they'll be able to do when things finally do improve for Cubans and they are able to play on really fine instruments.  And that violin soloist!  Omg, she can play like that and look like that! 😊