Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Oregonpapa:

Absolutely yours is the best approach- one change at a time with time to digest what the change has done. It is easy to rush things and then not be happy with the changes.

Vibraphones- inspired by angels having conversations. Do not forget Gary Burton, and Red Norvo.
The marimba is another wonderful instrument. The warmth of those vibrating blocks of wood sound very good to me.

Hopefully BLACK fuses arrive tomorrow.

David Pritchard
I know the interest has shifted to the Black being the new Red, but I’ll conclude my listening impressions of the Red.

This has been one of the most curious experiences of my listening life. On one side, there’s a sense of reporting on Unicorns, but on the other is the sense that this is one of the most dramatic and puzzling improvements I’ve heard in swapping “components.” If I had heard this change with a $10K preamp, I would understand why others were paying those prices. In my own limited experience, it is somewhat like comparing the “fatter” sound of the Conrad Johnson preamp I auditioned to a less lush, but truer sound, of the Audio Research LS3, except there are more dimensions of change with the Red, including more percussive impact.

I have literally not recognized some tracks until the lyrics kicked in. That should imply some type of distortion, but in fact, the change is always towards the clearer, less congested, and “sounds real.” I still think the Reds render more mid-to-high content, which could sound bright or screechy on some systems, and I’m still not sure about deep electric bass, but my own conclusion is that the Reds open a clearer window to the original recording.

After listening to a broad range of recordings, I see the trend that tracks recorded to preserve the actual live sound are rendered with remarkable clarity where voices, instruments, and percussion sound more real. But on tracks where the presented sound is a product formulated in a recording studio, the Reds can dissect this manipulation to reveal the adjustments made at the soundboard. It’s just a fact that a lot of popular recordings were engineered for a sweet spot of basic speakers and a sound demographic, and it seems that manipulation is sometimes not as pleasant when revealed by the Reds. For a single example, on Leo Kottke’s Peculiaroso album, the strings shimmer and Leo’s voice sounds “in the room,” but on some of the more heavily engineered Beatles albums, you hear the adjustments done at the soundboard. There is less of a “wall of sound” homogeneous presentation, and this can occasionally be less pleasant than what we are used to. If the record collection is heavily on the created soundscape side, then a decision is needed on whether you want to hear down to that level.

Still amazed and puzzled. Unicorns appear to exist. Looking forward to reliable ears reporting the differences with the Black.

Electroslacker

Nice report on the 'reds'. How long have you had them in? Mine went through noticeable about 50hr run in time before my system felt stabilized.

At first 7-10hrs it had more perceived detail, next at the 10-30hrs it seemed the tonal balance moved all over quite often. At 30-50hrs it proceeded to move toward more tonally coherent sound, more natural sound, quieter background, can see into the sound stage farther. And in the end it sounds like I upgraded the whole system a significant amount.

Marqmike, I've only had them since Jan 11. I would agree that they are changing, but I've listened to so many different albums that I'm mainly just repeatedly surprised by what is revealed.  I've thought of getting some more for my Benchmark DAC, but I'll echo what someone else said, "Do I want more of what these are doing?"  I'll exchange for the Black if there's  consensus it's better.  Thanks for compliment.  It still feels odd to wax poetic over a fuse.