Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@orpheus10,

The 'Rap' threads are not about music at all.  I think we all know what they are about.   Sort of like "Jazz for Aficionados.  Sometimes I wonder if it is about the music.

The post by Acman3 was just an attempt to make fun of,  and show them the stupidity of the whole  thread.  Good luck with that.

***** What do you think is the solution Rok; I'm totally lost. *****

Now now OP, you are not lost. :)  The problem first, then my solution.

Problem:  This thread is light years away from what it is was supposed to be.   Read your initial post again.   The atmosphere has become so poisonous and malicious, and in a personal way,   that I don't even like it anymore.   It has in effect, become an 'Audiophile thread'.  No different from all the rest.

Solution:   As I said in a previous post, irreconcilable differences.   There is no common ground.   There is Nothing to talk about.

To each his own, but for me, I think I'll call it a day, and head for the house.  

If you run across something that you think, I just have to have, email me.

Stop all the bickering.  It will eventually take all the joy out of listening to this great music.

Cheers

If bickering will take the joy out of you listening to music it wasn’t about music in the first place.

The most brilliant Professor I ever had, which is saying a lot. was a Frenchwomen who was the most eminent scholar in the Philosophy of Social Science in the world .

She once said, "If you can’t say it in one sentence you don’t know what you are talking about " .

Rok, I got sidetracked, but now I'm going through posts. Arturo O' Farrill, Afro Cuban Jazz with a whole lot of soul; "Blues Guaguanco" is smokin, it's all the way live; I can dig it, got to git it.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB52YOghww[/url]

"Mox Nix", I know you heard this expression a lot in Germany. This jam takes me back to the past when I put a quarter in the juke box and the hippest jam on the box popped up; Benny Golson in his prime, can you dig it?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7URoogRj0[/url]

All this mediocre music that Frogman is praising is giving me an upset digestive tract, I can't handle anymore of it; it's time for a brandy (not since last year).

Let me see what's "Killer Joe" up to?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23Etcb-L9M[/url]

"Killer Joe" is too cool for words.   10-4 over and out.
Just a couple of words, if I may, and than will post some good music. Personally, jazz music that I currrently like and listen is more or less from 50's and up to year '65. at the most. Sometimes I buy the later published music but its usually from the same protagonists, from previous decades (Miles not included) meaning that their style had not gone thru major changes. Note that I said currently listen. I remember the time when I bought my first pop rock record, I was 9 years old, the record was double red album from the Beatles, compilation of their hits from 1962-1966. Guess it was 4 years later that I bought their  'white' album, listened it couple of times, did not 'dig' it, put it on shelf, and forget about it . Must I said that now I consider the 'white' album as their best ? My point (its been said before ) is that at some moment in time, all art was considered modern. Believe that I don need to point at obvious examples in art, music, film or literature that prove how once, art that was scrutinised, later was considered great. Admit that I  find no need to defend the feeling and thought that my rather archaic musical personal taste is the best one, even I admit that I dont listen other music genres suc as (in alphabetical order) hip hop, metal, pop, rave and so on. But at same time, am I aware that years and years ago, I liked hard and bay area rock, liked german psychodelic bends, listened to british prog music, etc, and all that eventually led me to jazz. So, the fact that i dont like 'fusion' music, or some other 'modern' form, or other type of  musical expression does not necessarily means that it will remain that way. Also, I believe that is very important to learn about art in general and about art form that we are interested in. Only that way one will be able to understand the hystorical and social  origin of process that affects us by forming our personal taste. Guess we are fortunate that couple of professional musicans choosed to participate here, and I am often using that opportunity to try to learn something new, by looking or hearing things from their point of view. Doing it so does not makes me feel threatend or even ashamed because my personal taste might seemed simple, it is not a shame not knowing something, but to remain in ignorance is. Finally, even if someone chooses that he likes more 'simple' or older forms of music, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as one leaves the window for opportunity for future things to come. There is no reason what so ever for anyone to have hard feelings about differences in music that we all like.

But, as strange as it may seems, I found out that there are other individuals who obviously have bigger issues with 'modern' music, than as some of 'ours' guys. Note, aldo this page is quite good and educative, I choosed this clip just for fun, not as something that to put more fuel on fire.

[url]http://www.openculture.com/2016/01/hear-the-experimental-piano-jazz-album-by-comedian-h-jon-benjamin...[/url]

And finaly, some good music, an album from 1957. under the name of Herbie Mann, but I bought it becuse of Bobby Jaspar, from Belgium, who played with many greats, only to die quite young in 1963.Hope you will like it

[url]https://youtu.be/otengS4cE3Q[/url]
O-10

The expression in German is "macht nichts " (it doesn’t matter) .
To come up with "Mox Nix" you must have been hanging with some
very ignorant people .