Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Came across this article about a most interesting study.  In some subtle ways (well, perhaps not so subtle depending on one's point of view) the study touches on some of the issues frequently and hotly debated on this thread.

[URL]http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/the_musical_brain_novel_study_of_jazz_players_sho...[/URL]

I feel that big bands have gotten short shrift on this thread.  This is probably my favorite of them all; amazing sense of swing, tightness and subtley.  The article in my previous post refers to jazz players "trading fours".  For anyone who cares, in the first tune of this clip the members of Basie's brass section trade fours.  What a band!  Check out the interaction between Basie and Sonny Payne (drums) in the opening tune; amazing.  Enjoy.

[URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TgtU0FKHBzQ[/URL]

C'mon in Rok, the water is fine!  (I know you're out there) ☺️

As much as I love Jazz music, big band/swing does nothing for me.'
I am much more into Bop, Hard-Bop and modal Jazz styles.
Is it the "big band", or is it the "swing" that you don't like?  Care to elaborate and perhaps share an example of one or the other that you do like?
I like Stan Kenton a lot , he did a lot of glorified Lawrence Wellk stuff to pay the band, but the man was very smart and his best work with the Great Anita O’ Day was a joy. Basie’s "April in Paris" recording is a fave of mine, just straight ahead music, single malt, no chaser.
frogman, your command of English is about as good as it gets. I think in religious terms and your patience with us fools is on the Saintly side .
Re the article, in Classical its very obvious that the primary difference between French and German music is a function of spoken language .
The thought came to me reading the article that the difference between
black and white English , esp. back in the day, was enough to be different languages .

The advances in  understanding the brain in the last decade may well be the greatest leap in the shortest time in the history of Science .