I was thinking the other day about all the audio stores that were around when I was a kid

I know we all grew up in different places so the experience shared here all will not relate to. Though I am sure there will be stories that some can relate to. I grew up,in Detroit Michigan and starting going to Audio stores at the ripe old age of 14 years old. Of course I didn't drive at the time so my father would take me. He loved music but wasn't really into audio equipment. Here are some of the stores I used to go to.

1. Tech hi-fi in Royal Oak
2. Audioland In Roseville
3. Audio Dimensions in birmingham
4. Absolute Sound in Royal Oak
5.Stereoland in Detroit

Of course there were other stores but my father would only take me so far. Everything was so new to me and fresh at the time it was really exciting. I still go to audiophile shows today and some audiophile meetings. And though I still enjoy it I had the most excitement when I was a kid.

taters
Jjhunsecker,

If you are talking about the Sound Factor in Encino they closed about 4 years ago. The only store I know about in the valley is Shelleys. Though they even gave up their high profile location on Topanga Blvd to locate to a store on a side street. I guess the high rent was killing them.

I always see Optimal Enchantment at the audio show in Newport Beach every June. He always has one of the best sounding rooms. He is a dealer that really loves music. I can tell buy his great collection of music he brings with him. Mostly vinyl.

It seems like once our economy started making the transition to the "corporate model", lots of "mom & pop" stores went out to business when Walmart, Target, etc. came along and displaced them.  Same thing happened with many of those wonderful audio shops staffed by knowledgeable (commissioned) salespeople, where you could get some real help in making equipment selections, in showrooms where you could do some realistic comparisons, and have service after the sale.

In the DC area we had the Myer-Emco & Audio Associates multi-store operations, and lots of other independent, single-store shops.  Now we have some independent shops which typically sell the more esoteric brands, but no where near the selection we had a few decades ago.
Me as well- taters.
I always buy used/demo. Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
There was a store in New Brunswick, NJ when I was getting my PHD in the 70's or so called HiFi Haven.  A guy named Jerry was the manager.  I LOVED the place.   It was a combination of a club and a family.  Its greatly missed.