Upgrade Linn LP 12 or buy new table

I would like to get back into vinyl after an approx. 17 year absence. I have a Linn LP 12 that I bought in 1983 which I used for 15 years and then put into storage. I never got rid of my vinyl. So my question is : Do I upgrade my LP 12 to the tune of three to four thousand dollars or do I spend the same amount on a new turntable and sell the LP 12?  Everyone's two cents worth would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
hal253
$3 - $4K?  Buy a VPI Prime or a VPI Classic and never look back.  The absolute BEST a LINN can sound is nowhere close to modern tables in that price range. 

"The absolute BEST a LINN can sound is nowhere close to modern tables in that price range"

A little extreme, and way off base. The Prime is a great table and a modern Linn, is also a great table. 
I respectfully disagree with bpoletti when he says that the "absolute BEST a LINN can sound is nowhere close to modern tables in that price range." I suggest that you find a competent Linn dealer to help replace the springs and grommets, tune the suspension, replace the drive belt, assess the cartridge and replace the bearing oil. This should cost only a few hundred dollars if the cartridge is OK. A Denon DL103R is a great cartridge for a reasonable price - around $300. You would end up well under $1,000 and almost certainly have a turntable that competes very nicely with modern turntables in the $3-4K price range.

Should you choose to upgrade, you could get a Cirkus bearing kit ($750) and Kore subchassis ($1,200). These are worthwhile upgrades as is the Lingo 3 power supply, though at $1,800, that would push to the upper limit of your budget.

If you can find a dealer to demonstrate these upgrades, I suggest that you hear and assess these for yourself. Rely on your own experience but don't automatically give up on the Linn because of its age. The LP12 can be maintained for a very modest cost and upgraded at varying price points. Based on my experience, the Cirkus, Kore and Lingo 3 are well worthwhile. At the highest upgrade level, an LP12 competes with turntables at very high price points. 

Thomas O'Keefe at Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and Rick Duplisea of The Audio Alternative in Fort Collins, Colorado, are both excellent dealers and Linn authorities whom you could contact for expert help with your LP12.

Hal253,

First, kudos on a nice, well balanced system.  I recommend you do some demos of the latest version of the Linn LP12 with all the PS upgrades against other tables if you can, but if pushed, my recommendation would be to replace the Linn.  Assuming you can sell you current Linn LP12 for $1k used, for $4-6k (i.e., sale price plus the price to upgrade), you can buy a table that will substantially outperform the Linn. If you are inclined in that direction, I am happy to supplement my post with particular suggestions.

Best of luck.
Linn tables have inherent colorations that cannot be overcome or disguised with upgrades.  Voodoo dealers and magic incantations cannot fix the problems with Linn tables.

The best way to upgrade a Linn table is to replace it with a VPI, Clearaudio or Basis table.